Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck,Shoulder Spasms/Nerve Pain

RaventraxRRaventrax Posts: 32
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
One year ago I had single C-4/5 fusion. Since then I have had continued neck spasms on the left side under the ear,throughout the scalene muscles. I decided I could live with this pain with stretching/massage. In June the pain worsened, the old sharp ice pick in between shoulder blades returned and I cannot move my shoulder,w/o excruciating pain in overhead positons. My chest muscles are now painful/tight. I went to a shoulder doctor, who referred me back to my Ortho Surgeon, stating it was neck and possible C-3. At times I have pain in my ear, and pain radiates in my shoulder with muscle knots/and painful trigger points . I have received therapeutic massage, use heat, and affirmations ( for depression). I was an active athletic woman, prior to this cervical disc disease diagnosis. Can anyone else share their experience w/ muscle spasms/trigger point issues.Pain in ear, shoulder, chest and headaches?

• Hi, the only thoughts I had reading your post were that the only time I had vaguely similar pain, ear, neck, headache, was when I had TMJ problems prior to TMJ surgery. My joint was replaced by a Teflon joint. I also read that wearing a cervical collar/brace can aggravate TMJ problems.
    Just a thought...

• Hello Raven,

I hope you get some answers soon. I had/have pain,still hard to breathe, that I attributed to either angina or due to my neck problems. I actually believed it from the beginning to be from my neck and saw a cardiologist a few months back who ran tests and seems to agree. We could not pinpoint actual angina but that can be hard to diagnose too. I did have a mioview stress test however with good results. I had not mentioned this at my last neuro appt as I had so many other pre-op questions. There is little doubt anymore though that this is not a cervical issue. Hope you find out what is going on.

• I can't give you much advice but I do share some of your symptoms.

I have neck pain which extends up into my skull causing frequent headaches, shoulder pain, pain over my shoulder blades, arm and hand pains and numbess.

Along with the headaches, when they are particularly bad, I also experience ear pain which is a throbbing pain. Sometimes I wake up with pain in the outer part of the ear that I have been laying on.

I also get tightening and pain in my chest, but I suspect that is being caused by my thoracic problems.

I have spondylosis throughout my neck, but the worst levels are C3/4 and C4/5.

I hope to learn more when I have my next appointment with the neurosurgeon on 11th October.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. :S

• :SS Hello Graciegirl. I had ACDF C4/5/6 in September of 2010 and felt I was getting on well until a few months ago when the spasms returned. On 4 August 2011 I had neck injections into areas C5/6/7 and felt marvellous immediately after however on 26 August pain came back with a vengeance. Then spasms started again so I saw my Spinal Surgeon on 6 September and he said that I require yet another operation - this will be my third. He is to fuse facet joints in above areas as injections I had were also diagnostic. Hope you get some relief from these spasms. I find amitryptiline helps if I take 2 before bed. I am in UK by the way and live in Hertfordshire, England although I was born in Scotland.

Previous ops: Rt Knee replacement 1998 followed by revision in 2000 to correct bad surgery - Lt Knee replacement in 2006 - PLIF plus major rebuild in 2008 - ACDF C/4/5/6 in 2010.
  • :SS Sorry Raventrax said hello to Graciegirl instead of you. Apologies.
  • Hi Everyone,

May I also add that it could also be from some thoracic pain as well as I have been adding that to my list recently. I make it simple in trying to call it all neck/back pain. LOL.