Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone else have sore ribs?

tigger334ttigger334 Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Chronic Pain
I have spinal stenosis and spondylolysis in the lumbar. I have been dealing with the pain for a very long time, but now I have a new pain. My ribs. My ribs hurt so bad and are so sore constantly. I was wondering if someone else has the same problem. I am not sure if it has to do with what I am dealing with now or something new.
I start physical therapy Friday so I am hoping this will help with the pain.

• I have pain in the ribs, usually not bad but sometimes it feels like they are rubbing together.
  • I do! I do! I have several herniated discs throughout my t-spine. I had surgery over 2.5 months ago for two of them, but I have another one higher up that is now causing more pain. The pain starts near my spine and radiates over to the left and around my ribcage. It gets to be nauseating as the pain intensifies. Have you had imaging done on your t-spine? Problems in the lumbar spine shouldn't cause you rib pain. Rib pain is typically associated with the t-spine, unless it's muscular for you.
  • Just for the count...........

I have pain most everywhere, bone or joint wise, but not there.

Hope you find what is causing it.
  • My son has bone spurs in the lumbar region of his spine and he also has pain in his ribs. I bet your physical therapist can help you understand why. I have no idea if this is your problem as well, but my son's physical therapist explained that there is a muscle that comes from the back and wraps around the lower ribs to the front of you body and that when that muscle spasms due to back pain it can hurt your ribs. Your situation may or may not be the same. :)Good luck though!
  • I have DDD at T4-5 and T7-8 and my vertebrae at T5 and T8 are severely arthritic. I feel like I have a corset around my ribs, and if I sit or stand for very long, it feels like I will break into, and have severe burning sensations there as well. My PT has another client with thoracic issues that has the same symptoms, so maybe it is a common complaint with thoracic pathology.

Before my lumbar fusion I had mild thoracic burning, but since the fusion almost 2 yrs ago, all my thoracic symptoms have become severe.

Sorry that you are having these issues also. We are just watching the bulging disc. I would prefer not to have any surgical intervention...too risky for me.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    My right rib cage...out of my mind pain!
    Sometimes I have to lay on right side for the pressure and I can barely move.
    Ribcage front and side and back..entire area!

For me, epidurals make it worse with accompaning nausea...daily pain meds take edge off some of time.
    When I able to move, sometimes..hot bath may help..but I am in and out sometimes like 8 times.. trying for any relief.

I have vascular issues..so for me any exercise is increased pain, because blood tries to get there and can't..so I hope it works for you.

It's crazy making and you're not alone!Good luck!

Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

This discussion has been closed.