Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

just back out from further 3 week hospital stay

catsinc3ccatsinc3 Posts: 42
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:56 AM in Recovering from Surgery
i had a disectomy 1/08/11 was rushed back in on 31/08/11 unable to walk or bear weight on my left leg.had repeat mri 3days later surgeon said nothing he can do its scartissue adhered to to the calcififed disc segment he had toleave attacehd to my nerve root.i did nothing wrong just unlucky.im now on a whole host of drugs including pengablin a nerve blocking drug.outcome is dubious i doubt ill be pain free ever its managable maybe!!8if it doesnt settle on its own itll be nerve block injections or stimulaters.i honestly wish id just left my leg numb!!!!and never bothered to have the piggin op !!!!
advertisement

Comments

• Sorry go hear your in pain. My heart goes out to you. Are you able to walk?
  • hi,thx no cant walk very far at all.cant get to loo from bed without liquid morphine!IM RAMMED FULL OF MORPHINE!feel toTALLY SPACED OUT ALL THE TIMEgp came today concerned about amount of morphine!she increase my pregablin to as high as it can go ,said to give it a week and see if it helps if not going to change meds around get me on diff tabs.she has contacted the occupationaL THERAPY TEAM TO GET ME THE MOVEMMENT AIDS I NEED.IE A FRAME AND A COMMODE NEAR MY BED!YHE HOSPITAL JUST DONT CARE SEND YOU HOME WITH NO AFTER CARE WHATSOEVER.I HAVE A WHEELCHAIR COURTESY OF THE BRITISH RED CROSS WHICH YOU GIVE A DONATION FOR!
  • I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through. Glad that you are able to get on here to talk with us. Do you have anyone staying with you to help you?

Can you try to get another opinion from a spine fellowship trained orthopedic or neurosurgeon? How was your recovery going the first few weeks before you were admitted to the hospital?

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Hope that things settle down for you and the pregablin helps with the nerve pain.

gentle >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • the pregablin is now on max dose!still hurts tho cant bear any weight on it!well tiny bit today!still need the liquid morphine to get to the loo am and i crawl then up n down stairs on my bum its just easier!the gp came yest and wasnt impressed with the amount of morphine im on.heres my list!! pregablin(lyrica)600MG OVER 4 TIMES A DAY,MST(SLOW RELEASE MORPHINE 2 TWICE A DAY 12HR APART,NAPROXEN 500MG TWICE DAILY,PARACETAmol500mg dihydrocodeine20mg 2 4 times a day.amitriptyline 25mg 2 at night,diazapam 2mg 2 at night 1 at intervals if needed.dexamethasone(steroid)coming off these 1 twice a day now.oramorph every 2 hours if needed 5ml dosing spoon.quite a list and still in agony!hard in uk to get 2nd opinions no1 wants to take on sum1 elses mess!my options appear to be wait n see n see if i can get mobile if not gnereal anaesthetic for nerve block
    and failinbg that stimulators!now u can c y i wish id put up with a numb leg n a limp!recovery seem,ed slow b4 the acute bout of nerve pain.neuro try tell me i must have done something to shift the scar tissue onto nerve. i dont think i did!i have an occupational therapist coming bowt week to assess what aids i need.i need a leg!!!!very depresseds at min.gp wants to c how the pregab increase works takes 3 days at least.n then if no better change the mst morphine n the oramorph to tablets n summat else.at this point id try amputation!i want to walk my dogs,ride my horse n have a life!i do have a partner here very luckily or i would be in deep!i feel terrible with all the drugs after 4pm im out ofbit.cant concentrate,see straight,everything is distorted.my poor partner also has 3 discs gone which theyve refused to operate on so he has to go have nerve blocks nxt mth aswelL!!!!!OHNJOYS OF LIFE AYE.thx for your support on here least i know im not alone!!!:)
  • So Sorry I hope something works to control some of the pain.

Please keep us posted of how you are doing?
  • HI ALL JUST AN UPDATE.the increaased pegablin having a little effect,deff better mobility in the afternoons less pain.i have actually used the leg only for seconds at a time but when its so numb i can use it a little.the pain has changed to the original searing burning sciatic pain.gp reviewing my meds nxt week.the morphine is making me very disorientated by the afternoon and shaky.i have an ot coming nxt week to assess needs like toilet raisers etc.i have a commode coming this week some time.which will stop me having to drag my torso to to the bathroom (10ft)PUMPED FULL OF ORARAMORPH and still having to lie flat relieve pressure on nerve for 5 mins b4 i can transfer to the loo.its usually touch n go if i get on the loo in time!joys of waking up bursting and unable to take my meds b4 i go loo as i cant injest anymore liquid lol.but i am gewtting about a little bit on my crutch i do have to lie flat often to relieve the burning but progress is progress!got pt 10th oct to assess and see if hydrotherapy is good for me..:)
  • hi all :) well im still the same can manage around 5 mins on my leg with crutch on a good day!having more bad days tho.pain seems to shift position and type.sometimes is a burning others its a raw nerve pain.when the pain is on the outside of my leg i cant even do a step but when its central buttock area i can do the 5 mins but if i bend to do something thats it i need to go and lie down!.ive got a frame and seat on my toilet from occupational therapy.works quite well easier to get myself on in the mornings!i crawl lots and have to lie down every 5 mins to let the pain subside doesnt matter where i am i will lie down(bathroom floor a fav)if i lie doiwn the pain subsides sometimes takes ages and spasms are bad but after that i can get back up and carry on.im praying the scar tissue will move off on its own so i can have my life back!
  • goes out to you dealing with what you are. Do you have people besides occupational therapy coming in to help you out? Are you able to get another opinion?At least have someone else take a look at your MRI to see if there is anything else going on on top of the scar tissue? How are you doing with the morphine now, are you still on the same meds?

You are going through so much, I really hope that you can find someone to help you.

big >:D<
    Karen
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • hi,again still in agony!been to c neuro he says i need a nerve block in my joint?said he removed some of it during my op and its arthritic so wants to try nerve block and if no joy another mri and prob a fusion.im confused as to wot joint he on about?any1 any idea?thx
  • I would give your neuro's office a call and ask them which joint they want to do the block on.

I am scheduled to go and have a facet block in two weeks and am also going to be having a fusion after two more opinions

Do you have a date for your block yet?It should be done under x-ray guidance(flouroscopy) Hope that it brings you some relief.

>:D< Karen
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • sorry double post
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • hi,thx for your reply.i dont have a date but he said within 3-4 weeks and thats pushing me up the list as i cant walk.i havent had the date so will be ringing the secretary on tues(doesnt work on a monday)to chase an appointment.is this done under local?coz ill have to have the area numbed b4 they put needle in.i had a spinal block after having my daughter for surgery and omg that hurt!im a wimp with pain.i was wondering if it was facet joint dont fANCY THE FUSION thATS A LONG RECOVERY AND THIS HAS BEeN LONG ENOUGH!but from wot i gather you cant have the injec forever you end up needing the fusion.he must have seen sumthing on the mri i had in hosp coz i was in n out in 5 mins all he did was raise my 2 legs until pain.but did say wants repeat mri anyway i think he said but def if the injec doesnt work.praying it does but knowing my luck it wont!physio said it wont make me pain free just less pain n here was me thinking it was to stop the pain, :(
  • you will get some much needed relief from it. That is what I am hoping for, I know it is not a cure, but hoping to have some pain relief while I wait to have a fusion.

I know that here they give you a numbing injection before the facet injection, but yes it is local(here anyway)

I have been on a waiting list for 2 months, so am looking forward to trying it. I know that everyone doesn't get relief, but hopefully we both will. You and I will prob. be having it done around the same time, we will have to compare notes.

I know the fusion is such a long recovery, but I am at the point now, for myself, that I cannot live the way I am any longer.

Hope that you find some pain relief. Keep in touch

>:D< Karen
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I am so sorry for the pain you are in.
    You are in my thoughts.
    I hope the doctors can come up with something to help you besides doping you up on Morphine.

Gentle hugs.

I'm so sorry you are experiencing such an awful, debilitating outcome from your surgery. Let's hope the docs can fix what they did.
advertisement