Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

c5 nerve palsy prior & post 4 level ACDF

templezoottemplezoo Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
C3-C7 fused, crushed c5 nerve. I am 3 months post op from surgery, slowly regaining use of my right arm, have a dead spot from my waist to my shoulder for movement, able to straight arm lift ltems, but unable to bend arm when I have an object in my hand. Doctor says its the nerve, muscles just not getting the signal, that should heal in time. Disability was only 13 weeks, already ran out, can't afford $ for physical therapy. I've been looking all over the internet for exercises I can do at home, but have been unable to find anything, anyone with suggestions?
advertisement

Comments

• Hi. I'm 52 years old, 3 weeks post op following a C3 - C6 fusion, C5 palsy and Post- op infection. My biceps and deltoids are completely shot and i have a lot of "phantom" nerve pain in my arms. If you haven't seen them, there are a few exercises here http://sehati.org/index/patientresources/patientdocuments/exercisesfordeltoidpalsy.html. Unfortunately, the materials I get from PT are copyrighted and I must confess that I'm a bit reluctant to suggest any exercise generically without someone trained assisting you. If there is any way to continue PT I couldn't recommend it enough. If not, hang in there. As you have probably seen, the prognosis is generally good but severe cases tend to resolve closer to 6 months and most docs won't do anything until 6-9 months. I'll come back and post any insights that I may gain as I travel on this journey with you. Meanwhile, I'll just suggest that you keep as active as you can comfortably tolerate. Keep the faith, there's lots of us working to regain our lives with you.