Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here not new to back pain!

glbellgglbell Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi my name is Glenn. I have had a few surgeries. I had a l5-s1 laminectomy discectomy when in the army in 03. I stayed in was redeployed to Iraq remessed up my back and was med discharged. I have been fighting with the back pain since. Had many different procedures from epidurals to facet injections to a temp spinal cord stimulator. During all these procedures I herniated C4-C6 and had a fusion Aug 2010. When going for a perm Stimulator I was told OH NO you need a PlIF. So scheduled for the PLIF last week on 9/12/11. He was unable to do the complete PLIF said it was because of my anatomy. So I had a decompression and fusion. I was told that I will possibly need a ALIF. Oh the joys!

• Hi Im new to this site. I must say the posts that I have read made me feel better that Im not the onlyone who has back issues. I hurt my back at work this past May My Mri showed 3 bulging disks L3 L4 L5 S1 one disk had a tear with fluid leaking out .The other disk has tears on each side .Im having alot of pain in my rt leg even my hip. I also get cramping in my foot and it feels like pins and needles sometimes. Its seems also that my knee swells too? I sound like a freak. My doctor told me that I cant have surgery?? Its not that I want surgery but I dont want to live on pain killers forever.I sorta know what goes on with surgery cause I am or I should say I WAS a surgical tech. My question is has anyone out there had a 3 level fusion and if so was it sucsessful. sorry about rambling but Im getting depressed.
  • i am having a ALIF on the 29 dec {3 level} L4/L5 and S1} I too have strange anatomy due to congenital defects and previous surgical interventions i have arthritis /facet joint hypertrophy and spina bifida occulta ,i am in constant pain and only sleep for 2 hours a night i am no loads of oxycontin to help with pain and i have been told my my consultant that my operation will be complex and recovery will be hard work and will take many months even years .that's about all the advice i have been given .any spinal surgery is potentially serious but when you get to ALIF /PLIF/XLIF ADR you are in to the most serious kind of spinal surgey ..don't expect miracles !! .good luck
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. good luck on a complete recovery where you do not need anymore surgery!! please be sure and follow all of the doctor's orders! stop by the forum anytime! it can make a long day go by alot faster.. Jenny :)
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Welcome to Spine-Health!

I hope your recovery is going well and that you won't need another surgery. Please do as Jenny suggested and follow all doctors orders. Try to be patient and give yourself time to heal.

Thanks for your service!
    Take care,

• I think many of us here all have back pain issues, others' suggestions and experiences are useful and helpful!