Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe herniation of c6-7 PLEASE HELP!

Veronica524VVeronica524 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have a broad based dis herniation at c6-7 that displaces the left nerve root at c7 with encroachment and displacement and flattening of cord contour. Does anyone suffer from this? And if so will the numbness and severe shoulder and arm pain go away with time or am I making things worse by putting off surgery? I get different answers dorm doctors, some say surgery others try epidurals. I had 2 level acdf in 2009 and want to avoid surgery but I don't want to take a chance with paralysis.

Thank you for any feedback you can give. I am really worried.

• I am not a doctor, but I can tell you what I've learned. Since you have been down this road yourself you probably know many of the answers but just do not want to think about going thru this again.

I had 3 level ACDF on 8-29-11. I'm 4 weeks post op. Before I had either completely numb left arm, pins and needles or deep arm pain. Had 3 epidurals, but they only helped for a month. Mine was from an accident back in 1990! 3 herniated disks almost bone to bone and bone spurs on all levels completely compromising my nerve root. I saw the MRI. Crazy! I've heard that only surgery is the true fix for it. I've know some people who refuse the surgery and live in pain. I chose not to live in pain - it was like I had a knife under my left shoulder blade for at least 6 weeks! Only thing that helped was laying on straight ice - my skin peeled so bad!

I've heard the longer you wait the better the odds of having the pain after surgery. But do see several doctors - I consulted with 4! I even scheduled and cancelled the surgery with one doc before I settled on the one who did mine. Make lists of questions, research on the web, ask for references from the doctor.

I am very glad I had mine - I have some good, some bad days now. But the good are definitely out weighing the bad. And I am very happy it is done. If I had that pain again, I would definitely go thru this again as there is no way I would live with that everyday!

• Howdy,

Sorry to hear you are now having issues at your C6/7 - been there, done that, have the shirt!!

It doesn't hurt to get additional opinions if you have any doubts, it is your neck after all! For me when my C6/7 went, it was rapid and damaged my exit nerve, so surgery was a pretty easy decision. Only you can decide if you want/need surgery. I know that isn't an answer, but you have to weigh what is going on with you specifically in the medical side of the house - eg, the status of your disk, and can it be treated conservatively, or is that option not going to help enough?

I see the pain and numb issues. Are you having function or weakness issues? Weakness/function is something most surgeons jump on to help or hope to reverse.... Please let us know how it goes...

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.

• Apart from the disc herniation at C6/7, how is the rest of your neck?

I have been told that if there is just a neck herniation and the condition of your neck is otherwise in a good state, then there is a chance that the disc will draw/shrink back and get off the nerve roots and cord. Sometimes ES Injections will help with this as they deal with inflamation.

Sadly, I have been told that as the whole of my neck is significantly degenerated and there are osteodiscal bars, then nothing can be done conservatively to improve it. I am however, still doing exercises and weekly physiotherapy to maintain my mobility and try to avoid surgery for as long as possible. I have a full spine MRI scan scheduled on Monday to see how things are progressing.

As my neurosurgeon said, we want to avoid cutting my throat for as long as possible!! :jawdrop: