Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I've tried to address ergonomic seating issues... but things are getting worse!

MaxDreadMMaxDread Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi all - and thanks for having me on the forum.

I sit a lot at a computer desk and recently decided to address the ergonomics of my set up, as well as look into things like correct posture, etc. I have no specific health issues I wanted to address, I was coming more from a prevention is better than cure angle! Saying that, like many people I do have a sore back/neck quite often after long periods at the computer, as well as the odd niggling pains now and then.

So as part of this new approach I bought two new chairs to try out - a Knoll Life chair and a Humanscale Freedom. I hoped the chairs - along with a remedial understanding of correct sitting posture - would help to eliminate the niggling pains, and to also prevent problems occurring unnecessarily later in life.

So far = WRONG!

Over the last couple of weeks I've been experiencing more pains and aches than ever! I can only assume it might have something to do with these new changes, though I cannot be certain of course. The pains are not consistent. One day it might be in the lower back, on another the upper back region. Sometimes the shoulder. Etc etc. If it is something to do with the new changes, I’m guessing it might be one of the following:

- My back is used to being hunched and not used to being in the correct position. Therefore, by sitting correctly I am using and stretching areas of the body that have weakened over the years. Due to the areas of weakness now being used, I am feeling the aches and pains more acutely (much like I would if I did a type of exercise I have not done for years). Does this sound plausible?

- I am trying too hard, and perhaps by trying to sit correctly I am actually “over-doing it” and causing harm.

- Related to the above point…… I am overthinking it. This might mean the pain is due to me over focussing my mind on my back and noticing ever niggle more easily. It might also mean I am not relaxing when sat down and the tension is causing pain.

I understand that this sort of thing is pretty much impossible to answer without more detail and investigation, but I wondered whether the scenario is a common one, and if so what the most common and likely reasons are.

I would also appreciate any other thoughts or comments which might help me get over this and on the road to good health and a good back!

Many thanks

PS - I hope I have posted this in the right area, and my apologies if I did not. Seemed the most appropriate place from the options.

• Max Hi :wave: and welcome to SH :)

I think you have hit the issues pretty well. I too have tried to sit, stand and walk correctly and every attempt has brought me more issues. Of course I was told I over did it every time.

I was told by my Dr the correct way to do this is to pick 1 change and to do it until I feel uncomfortable. Then the next day do it until I am again uncomfortable but add 3 minutes to it and the next day add 5 minutes and so on.

I am to do this with walking, standing and anything that changes my positions.

Hope this helps a little. :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Thanks for the reply and help MsHumptyDumpty.

There was also a second response (from dilauro), which has now disappeared!!!! Anybody know where it might have gone and how I can get it back?
This discussion has been closed.