Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Diagnosed with MRSA 8 weeks post-op

rascal2717rrascal2717 Posts: 109
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Lower Back Pain
About 6 weeks post-op I developed a bumpy rash on the top of my thigh/ butt cheek. I went to the dermatologist and he said he saw that it was red, and bumpy but, there was nothing to culture. Within the next week, the rash turned into abscesses and finally it could be cultured and sent to the lab for evaluation. I have been on 2 different antibiotics, prednisone, kenelog injections, and been to the dermatologist 6 times in the past 10 days. It turns out the the rash/ abscesses were not on or near any of my back or stomach incisions (at least 4 inches from my lowest sacral incisions). Should I be concerned that my hardware that was put in for my L4- S1 fusion with cages, and posterior rods and screws could be infected and have to be removed at some later date? Am I lucky that I caught it early and was on antibiotics early? Where did this come from and why? Am I going to have to worry that I am open to more staph infections in the future? Can anyone help me out with info re : non-surgery site infection (my incisions are not at all problematic and healed fine)? Thanks in advance.

• Is your surgeon aware that you contacted MRSA? If not be sure they are aware of it. AS far as will you contact the infection in the future, it is anyone guess. My Mom contacted the twin to MRSA and was very very ill, but she never contacted it again. MRSA is one of those things that you can pick-up any place. A big place for you to pick it is a gym, or physical therapy place, that is not cleaning equipment. But you can also come in contact with in a restaurant, and really any place. The problem is we can't live our life in a bubble, worrying about it. But you can take proper precautions to help out, such as washing your hands carrying a bottle of hand sanitizer and so forth.

I know once you have this you can be kind of paranoid about coming in contact again with it, but try to take the necessary precautions and live your life the best you can. I do think if you are in a health care environment you need to tell them that you were positive for it. For my mom while she suffered from other health issues, it did give her a private room in the hospitals for sometime. But you will find hospitals treat it very different than any other place. Also you need to be sure your surgeon knows as if you have a appointment with them coming up, they may not want you to attend that appointment for x amount of time. Each doctor is different. My surgeon won't let anyone in his office whom has had any flu's till two weeks past their last symptom. He is just looking out for the good of his patients especially those heading to surgery.
  • Ty for your input. I am trying to not be crazy and I immediately put in a call to my surgeon. Am expecting a call back on monday. Could I have gotten it in the hospital as I have pretty much stayed home the past two months after my surgery? I have gone out to dinner 3-4 times, and have gone to a couple of doctors appointments where I have been shown right in and right out, haven't even had to wait in the waiting room. My contact with the public has been minimal. I have pretty much been homebound as I recover from surgery other than my walks outward in the not so fresh air!
  • It can be picked up anywhere but after having surgery you're immune system may not be as strong as it was before you had surgery and it's easier for you to pick up MRSA then you would've otherwise.

It's good you contacted your Surgeon and he will follow you up with this. Hopefully the infection is limited to that one area but your Dr. will do a thorough assessment.

If you have a fever or feel unwell you may want to contact the hospital. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
This discussion has been closed.