Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Papa57PPapa57 Posts: 28
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Recovering from Surgery
7 weeks post op L5/s1 discectomy And this damn l lower leg is still like wet cement and left foot numbness still persists any one else going through this is it permanent nerve damage I just don't know. I just ordered fur lined crocs to wear this winter since regular shoes can only stay on this foot for about an hour I need some words of wisdom! ~X(

• Nerves are slow to heal, it takes time. I know after my first surgery I had much of the same pain and thats when they started me on Cymbalta. It really helped me and my right leg pain. I couldn't stand that I had the surgery and my back was just a small back ache and I had this horrible feeling in my leg when it was suppose to be fixed. So they said it will take time for the nerves to heal but while they were healing they would start me on cymbalta, and I have never stopped taking it,it worked so good I did not want to take the chance of the pain coming back,, not to mention it is a hard drug to withdraw from .
    I dont know if this will help you but figured I would say hi and wish you the best of luck, take it slow to please, I am thinking my hurrying to get back to work to do everything I wanted is why I ended up in my situation I am in today ,, let your body heal .
    Prayers are with you :)
  • Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I had discectomy/lami L4-S1 11 weeks ago. My pain is worse than before surgery. My left calf and foot are totally numb cold, and feel wet. I have foot drop. Going to physio. They are trying a muscle stimulator on my leg to try to get it to lift up properly again. I am frustrated and not very hopeful.

Nerves do really take a long time to heal, so hopefully you will begin to see some improvement even if it is slowly. Maybe try judging change every week or so and it may make a difference. I know sometimes I wonder day to day and that can be hard, as things do change so slowly.

Wishing you all the best. How are your pain levels now, compared to before surgery?

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    nerve pain can take a very long time to heal.

Its almost impossible to estimate when that pain should subside. There are way too many variables.

- How long was the nerve impinged prior to surgery?
    - What discs were impinging the nerve root and where?
    - How long was the surgery?
    - These are just some.

With one of my lumbar surgeries, it took almost a full year before the nerve pain in my foot stopped. With my last lumbar surgery, the nerve pain never recovered and I have some permanent nerve damage from my right knee down into my right foot. We conducted an EMG test about 18months post op to verify the condition of the nerves.

Try to be patient. At times , the nerve pain can be worse than the disc or spinal pain. Not much seems to manage it.

I would discuss this with your doctor to get a formal professional direction.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thanx Ron I just needed to hear what I know you guys have gone through I will keep in touch and thanx again!
  • Thanx Karen inwill try to be patient and stay in touch