Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Physical Therapy?

Mindymork62MMindymork62 Posts: 207
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Can anyone tell me if "physical therapy" has really helped them after a fusion to L 3/4 & L 4/5? Had the fusion in June, 2010. Had screws removed August, 2011. Cage is still in. I'm 61, and will be having therapy for a frozen shoulder at the same time as the fusion therapy. I still need a cane to get around and cannot stand for too long. I'm wondering if I'm just going to be adding more pain to what I already have.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,836
    I am a believer in Physical Therapy. For most spinal problems/surgeries it is a must in order to regain range of motion, mobility and strength.

I have had Physical Therapy so many times, after surgery, during flare ups, outset of new problems, etc. I have learned that there is a point of diminishing returns, or more bluntly, when it starts to cause problems instead of helping.

But that is on an individual by individual basis. And that comes only after you fully understand your body, know what it can and cant do.

After so many times at physical therapy, my therapist knows me and understands and agrees with me. Pushing things past a certain point is just going to cause me problems. Having a physical therapist that knows you is so very important. I have had the same person for almost 6 years now.

So to answer your original question, Yes, it will help and you will have success.

Take a look at the items below for more reading:

This is a personal view at Physical Therapy: All About Physical Therapy

There is also Spine-Health's formal articles :
    Physical Therapy
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi; and i believe it is good and bad.

If you have therapy after the problem is corrected, then you can have good results.
    If having therapy before the problem is corrected i believe therapy can make matters worse.

I have been on both ends of this scene,
    Good results with 2 cervical fusions.
    Bad results with a knee surgery, and now with my lumbar.
    I had therapy before and after with the knee, and lumbar, and nothing but problems.
    I had therapy just after the cervical fusions and great results.

Hope i didnt scare ya off.

Best of luck to you.
  • I am told by my doctor that I don't need therapy, I just need to walk? He says it is a waste of time/money. I am wondering if I should just ask for it? I love to walk, and I will do that. Hmmmmmmm :?