Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Okay dokay.... Surgery upcoming ...yum-yum!!! :) yeah, I am weird.

Aviatrix36440Aviatrix36440 Posts: 5,744
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
O-can-doky.... Here is where things stand now. I just went through extensive (finally damn it) testing for MS and ALS via what is called "evoked potentials"....basically these tests (there are like 3 of them....3.5 hours to complete) measure the chit chat between your brain to legs, arms, fingers etc. They also specifically (unlike an MRI) look at any interruptions in your spinal cord. The tech knowing I was well aware of what these tests were for....didn't give me details (she can't), but did say "the reason I was having them...I should be good, as the 'responses' are good. I'm fairly comfy in agreement with that. Ps... I could see the electrical differences between my left and right leg!!! (G)

I have a brain scan tomorrow and blood work...no biggie, and then the ole (ex smoker) lung checks Wednesday...then one final NCS/EMG (doesn't affect surgery either way)...and off to slice and dice!! :)

I (for catch up) was a competitive gymnast for 11 years..bad fall (couldn't get over it - kicked off the team)...was hoping for Olympics - oh well. Went into the the Army at 17 - rough and tumble, body beat up - first women paired with men!!! Hehehhe

In 1985 I crashed a helicopter... Contrary to the "conventional" way to crash, I modified due to proximity and issues to live and walk another day - it worked!!!

30 years aviation, 20 years law enforcement (narcotics and immigration....) took its toll. Okay, now everyone has the "Cliff notes" as they say...lol!!!

Except for a couple more tests, October 11th (two weeks) I go in for ....Lamies for C5-T1, and posterior fusions (yep...screws, plate, rods, yummy....) C4-T2. Hard collar lock down for 3 months minimum...due to my fusion failure history (me) betting more than that!!! (G) My surgeon has been very blunt and straight up with me, so we ARE on the same "sheet" as they say.

Hospital stay presently (if all goes well) is 3-5 days...Too close to surgery to 'donate for myself' so... yeah, figuring at least 4 units if all goes well. My hubby admitted (7 surgeries since married over 20 years ago) "finally" he is anxious! Hehehe.. and I never knew.... I love him to pieces. He is my best friend, lover and confidant!!! I now feel more for "his" feelings than my crummy emotions! My bud.... :) Ba-dom-ba-dom-ba-dom...sorry, happy heart beat!!! :)

Any-who's....ladies and gents, that is where I am at. Though discussed with my surgeon, my C2/3 sucks... and C3/4 is actually in pretty (per MRI) good condition.... I had prior adjacent level failure just over a year post op...so yeah...creeped out the only good level can go. Whew!!!!

Okay... that is *my* info novel for the day ladies and gents of CP and other nasty related issued to get you here. :) I'm an odd ball in that I should have been either dead or paralyzed back in 1985...so to me, surgery or not, it is gravy time!!! Thanks for reading this long, and understanding I am a happy flake!!! (G)

Brenda

Isn't retirement wonderful? No bosses, no bullshit...hehehehehehe (sorry Ron if my "bull**** is a bad??) (G) Sorry, in a goofy mood?? Argh... hehehe
PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
advertisement

Comments

• So what are you trying to say Brenda? Lol

Its harder to read your post then a frickin mri report. Lol

Best wishes, and good luck with surgery thats coming up!
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • alexhurting said:
    So what are you trying to say Brenda? Lol

Its harder to read your post then a frickin mri report. Lol

Best wishes, and good luck with surgery thats coming up!
    Alex,

You are so mean!!! (G) Aw come on, had to give the Cliff notes history report! :)

Thanks so much for the well wishes... I have a list of things I want to get done ahead of time. If I don't get them done, hubby will know (G) (yeah) the grumpy me will come out! Snicker....

Brenda
  • advertisement
  • Hello, great friend!!! You are not a flake! I just wish you never had to go through all the nasty things you've had to go through!!! I really hate it. But Brenda, you've gone through with great spirit. You my friend, are a poster child for how to get through this nasty, mean spine journey, you share with us, even the days I know you're in terrible pain! I love that about you. You have helped me so much! Thank you so much! I'm praying your mega spine surgery goes well and you get to the otherside of recovery really fast. Prayers, love, and many gentle hugs, Brenda C.
  • Lol. I am not mean! I just get lost between the(grrrr). And the(G) and the( nodes head) and the (soft hugs) and the( Ba-dom ba-dom ba-dom)and the (argh). Lol

I am not saying anything is wrong with it(woof woof). I just never got use to it(meow). Lol. I am just messing with ya (taping foot). I am sure everything (picking nose) will turn out fine (grrrr). Lol.

Now thats funny i dont care who you are lol. (git-ir-done)
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Brenda,

Thanks very much for your comments...actually brought 'happy tears' to my eyes. :)

I have my pity parties to get the negative crap out of me, but then I try to perk back up again, as I (it seems to me?) feel less pain when a happy camper? Getting ready to head out for more blood work, and a head MRI...yeah, I will have proof for my hubby that there *is* a brain up there! (G) EMG and pulmonary is all that is left...GP approval/clearance next week, but unless something goofy comes up on the ole lungs, "we be good" for the slice and dice day!!! :)

Brenda, you say I've helped you, believe it or not, you too have helped me!!! Thanks girlfriend, chat with ya soon!! Big *HUGZ*

Brenda
  • advertisement
  • =D> Good- you have your official date =D>

Two weeks is enough time to STRESS out. I know you are excited and I am sure you will have an EXCELLENT surgery with EXCELLENT results.

Let the count down begin :)

Julie
  • Alex,

You're a hoot!!! :) I have to have my version of "emotions" in there don't cha know!!! (G)

Off to more blood work and MRI of the sort of gray matter!! I will finally have proof there is a brain up there! Snicker.... I think I will take me to Longhorn's for lunch in between blood work and MRI...Yeah.. that is a plan!!! :)

Brenda
  • Howdy woman!!! I've had the date for 4 weeks now, but of course been going through the pre-op testing and such. I still have 2 more appointments, and then (finally) done with em!!

Not looking forward to almost complete loss of ROM, but *am* looking forward to "bye-bye" choke outs, funky voice, headaches.....(G) I think I can move that to the 'excited' category for sure! Thanks Ms. Julie!!! *HUGZ*

Brenda
  • tick-tock-tick-tock-tick-tock-tick-tock-tick-tock...October 11. While the clock ticks toward your slice & dice date, I'll be prayin' for you. Love 'n gentle >:D< , Ess
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Good luck and if you are anything like me you will have sooo much relief upon waking from surgery. Just dont try to raise your head.lol.
    Susan
advertisement