Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

no sleep for the wicked

robynrrobyn Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in New Member Introductions
hello cyber people. i was today diagnosed with an extrusion in my lumbar spine. its been about 6 weeks now since the original injury and has turned my life upside down. i am a very recently divorced mother of 2 and i work as a dental hygienist. or should i say worked, up until about 6 weeks ago? i am not usually a weepy kind of person, but the frustration i am feeling at the pace of my healing- or lack thereof- allows me to cry at any given moment. i have been pretty much couch/bedbound through this process, and watching my leg atrophy is depressing. i was given a cortisone injection today and the waiting game starts...will it work or not? usually an optimistic person but i feel these walls pressing in on me! doing my best to keep my head up. hope you all are having a good day.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,834
    When anyone is first faced with a spinal condition and experiences pain and discomfort everything can start to look so dark and gloomy.

You go from one minute feeling fine to where you are today.

So many people experience spinal problems and so many have those problems eliminated or minimized through conservative and/or aggressive treatments.

What diagnostic tests did you have done to identify your problem? Which disc(s) are involved, where and to what extent?

What has been your doctor's recommendation and action plan for you? Are you in any type of action plan and what medications are you taking?

The reason for all the questions, is that it is easier for other members here to post to a new member when they have a better understanding of what the situation is.

You will find so many people here who have been in your shoes, walked with them and were able to continue doing so much of what they did before without problems.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Sorry for all you're going through.
    Any one of the situations that you mentioned in your into, could be big on the stress scale and all together...well, it's not unusual to have some tears while you're trying to readjust.

Hopefully, your injection will bring you some relief, but again sometimes it's trial and..try again.

Continued communication with your doc on how you are feeling and how you are responding to treatments is most important. Easier said than done, but try to be gentle with yourself. :)

It's great you are here, as sharing within this ..cyber neighborhood :)... can be encouraging and informative.

Keep in touch!

Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Hello Robyn,

Welcome to the forum.

When do you have your next appointment? As Ron and Savage have mentioned,it can take some time to diagnose and come up with the right answers for you. I know it can be frustrating at times but stay in contact with your doctors and hang in there. Be gentle to yourself and hopefully things will trun out well. We are all here for help and support.

• okay, so my 3cm extrusion is l5s1 with the extrusion almost reaching down to the s2 in the mri...im not sure how to read the mri but that is what i see. the doc compared it to dripping candle wax and thats exactly what it looks like. my esi was last tuesday, and i absolutely am getting relief from it, id say about 40%. im still taking hydrocodone occasionally as well as methocarbamol and aleve. i am getting out of my house which has been amazing for my psyche. i had my first appt w/ pt today. i have an incredibly weak core, working on breathing exercises. (who knew you could breathe wrong???) also some pelvic tilt and gluteal stretches. my pt seems to think surgery is inevitable, but im not thinking that way yet. i have another injection this coming tuesday. the pain management doc also wanted to refer me to the spine surgeon immediately after viewing my mri, but the surgeon requested the round of esi's, and i asked for the PT. my only frustration is not knowing. i mean that if i knew that surgery was inevitable, i would just like to skip the bs and get it over with. i wanted to post my mri pic as my profile but cant seem to save it to my computer! in the past week i have a much better outlook and im ready to do what it takes to get myself together. pt thinks its years of poor body mechanics, and ill need to train my muscles to behave. i appreciate everyone's comments and this websites very existence. i dont think people understand something like this till they experience it firsthand. and experiencing it firsthand sucks ass:(
  • Welcome aboard Robyn!

My surgeon ordered Pt and various other stuff even though we all knew I needed surgery on my back. not sure if this is your position, but I had it explained this way.

The surgeon wants to make sure that every other option has been exhausted before cutting into your back. From my experience, the excellent surgeons I have talked with take this position.

Next is when it comes down to no other option but surgery, they can show your insurance provider that all other options have been exhausted. Makes approval for surgery a lot faster.

Like you, I wanted to skip all the BS and get right to surgery. I was actually looking forward to surgery, and could not wait to get to the hospital for it :)

Best of luck,

View my history for all the gory details.