Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

So glad my doctor recommended this site

• Hi Alison and welcome, Dont worry too much about the procedure for most people do prety well with the micro D. Procedure.

What medications have you tried while this has been going on?
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,858
    Seeing new members and welcoming them always comes with mixed feelings. While we are happy to see new faces, we understand that the reason you are coming here is because of a spinal problem and pain.. So, that sorta of makes us feel sad.

You will find plenty of information here, both informal through these forums and formally via the Spine-Health medical articles.

There are many others out here, you age, similar home situation and medical situation. Its important to know you dont have to go through things alone, at least while you are here on this site.

I encourage you to read our FAQ. There is a lot of information there that can help you get started here and have a more productive time.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • tarin520 said:
    Hello to everyone here at spine-health.com. My name is Allison and I am a 33 year old Stay at Home Mom. I have been suffering with what I thought was acute left sciatica since May. Only over the past 3 weeks have I learned it is Severe Disc Extrusion. I am scheduled for a microdiscectomy in a week and am extrememly scared over the whole procedure. I am thrilled my doctor recommended this site and hope that I can gain some advice, and return that advice and support to others as well.

Welcome Allison. I am also 33 yes old a mother of 3 with sciatica due to a disc bulge.

Please keep us updated about your procedure.

• hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i also suffer from sciatica so i know the pain you are going through.. be sure and look up your procedure on the forum so you will be well informed for next week.. please have a look around and make yourself at home. good luck on your upcoming procedure and i hope you enjoy the forum! Jenny :)
  • you are in a fantastic place SH that it .we are a long standing large group of very different but decent people with a massive amount of personal insight and many of us have a Grete deal of clinical experience as well as the day to day living with back pain ..like Ron said its always nice to see a new member but then again its also sad because you would not be here if you were not in PAIN .trying not too worried the microdiscectomy is one of the less invasive procedures and having had one i feel qualified in letting you know that you should recover fast from it the procedure is fairly quick {about 90 minutes} and your stay in hospital should be anything from 2 /4 days max all being well .. .some patient advice from me to you .a good TENS will help with post op pain will ice {when your scar has healed} and if you don't already have one ..a recliner is the bad back persons chair of choice !! .don't worry too much and please follow your post op instruction to the letter ..you don't want to be having more surgey for at least another ten years..good luck and please feel free to contact me any time
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Welcome. The best advice I can offer...no bending, twisting, or lifting...for 6weeks. This means no bending to do laundry. Have hubby take it out of the dryer or carry it up the stairs. Get a friend to vacuum. Stuff like that.

You will feel better within 2weeks but don't push the recovery...back surgery isn't like being sick. Take your time. Oh, and several 5-10min walks per day on flat surface to keep scar tissue off the nerve.

Good luck, keep us posted.