Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

starting to get bummed again for this nerve pain

michellemmichelle Posts: 197
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Chronic Pain
rt leg nerve pain is starting to get me down again and need a good swift kick in the butt. ( on the left side please... the right side already is pissed) i have an emg tomorrow to see why im having leg shakes and sometimes gives out. it hasnt given out in a week or so now but i still get the shakes in the muscle or twitches that make it feel like its gonna go when i push off on that foot. yes still taking the cymbalta, nothing else has changed . went to a butrans patch which really helps the nerve pain but ive been having to over due it i think for school and im still paying for it. funny how its not a one for one trade. if you over do it on one day it makes you pay for several days. Buttheads. Ok, someone please kick me in the butt to get me started again. or run to walmart and get me a new leg, by time i get there ill be too tired to gimp along. lol. ok thanks for letting me b*&^%.

• I hope the EMG goes well and shows what's going on with your leg. My EMG is next week. Vent away any time. Hugs. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Good luck with the emg, Maybe you will get lucky after emg. I dont mean geting laid kind of lucky. When i had last emg nerve was hurting so bad but when they shocked it so hard it actualy made the pain stop,

It was weird but i felt prety good on the way home untill nerve pain came back fighting again,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Boy do I know whatyou are talking about.I had it for three years now But I started falling the last three month. And you really don't know when it going to happen.
    So good luck on your emg.

• with your emg. Hopefully this will give you and your doctors some answers and will help with treatment.

Let us know how it goes.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Had the emg today and essentially he said the large nerves are normal. Said that there is no way to test all the other nerves in the leg . During the test kept telling me and asking if I could push down harder etc despite me doing the best I could . I couldn't give him what he wanted on the right leg but I could on my left. So if I couldn't do what he wanted then how is it normal? Good thing I guess is since my rt leg vibrates so hard I didn't feel it on the right but it hurt like heck on the left leg. So what do we do now? Don't know. They said they want a ct mylogram but if i don't want further surgery unless absolutely needed then what's the point. Sorry im just so damn tired of the pain and the dr visits get old. Any suggestions outside my frustration ? So who's up for going to Bahamas where it's warm and we can be treated like royalty pain in the ass or not :)
  • Wow sorry to hear, well good that your leg nerve are okay but wonder what would be causing the leg weakness? When your leg gives out is it from the hip?

Also can you write a short signature of your past surgeries you had so we remember your history of surgery?

I hope they can find out what's going on with your leg giving out on you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Frustrating when they can't pinpoint the cause. Did they think other tests could help like from the hip?

I know the lower back compensates for the hip and pelvis. I've been starting to get significant hip pain that is causing weakness in my legs and increased pain in my back.

I wish I had an answer or suggestion for you but at this point, your idea of going to the Bahamas sounds nice! At least they have warm sandy beaches and tropical cocktails!
  • During your EMG did they test your lumbar spine while they were testing your legs?

Did you have both a nerve conduction study along with your EMG? Or just an EMG?

Who conducted the study? a neurologist or aomeone certified to conduct the study? Often neuro surgeons are very perticular as to who conducts the study as the outcomes can be somewhat subjective.

Do you know if they repeated a specific responce to ensure the results were accurate. When I have had my studies done, when the results were really bad, they would repeat it, just to ensure they got the same result twice. Not exactly fun, but necessary I guess.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but it may lead you to some answers.

After my recent EMG/Nerve conduction study, I was then referred for a lumbar myelogram and CT scan. For me, this was the decision maker as after that there was a clear cut cause of muscle weakness, nerve pain.

Wishing you the very best!
  • This guy was a dr and he did both on the legs only. Not sure if he repeated the tests or not . Seemed like a nice guy but I had to explain to him the difference between latex and powderfree latex gloves versus non latex gloves . He kept insisting that the powderfree latex were non latex . Ugh. I told him he's not doing the test unless he has non latex due to allergy. Took him 15 min to find a pair cause he had to run next door to hospital for some. Geez . So I guess I should question judgement based on that right ? Lol :)
  • Michelle,

I have to chuckle with you as I too am allergic (blistering rashes) to Latex, and had a Neurologist try that crap with me! He almost got hurt by me. His comment to me "I will only touch you a little, not a problem." I am like, "Are you kidding me??? I am ALLERGIC - hello??" He wouldn't use the nitrile gloves I had, nor would he go to another office and get some (this is a medical building with tons of physicians!!)

Those types, I fire but fast... Sad to hear yet another goober is out there. Sheesh...

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Michelle had the same surgery i had around the same years while the flexicore artificial disk was out for clinical trials,

She ended up with just about the same symptoms with nerve issues as i did,
    I myself have not found 1 single person who did not end up with complications with this flexicore disk!

I had the same findings as she is having now mostly where they cant explain the nerve issue other then the nerve root was comprimised while they had to force some of these adr flexicore disks in to place with either over stretching the nerves or simply damaging the nerves while puting them in. Or both, They were like 1 size fits all.

Only diference is i pushed on and found another dr who thought fusing it will help to stop the movement and leaving the adr in there and have the posibility of the nerves healing with no movement on that level!

It was a long shot and it did not help at all. If anything it just made it worse,

I am sure michelle had the same thoughts going in for this adr surgery as i did,
    Sounded beter then fusion and sounded good about being able to go back to work, play golf, or do just about anything as we done before the disk went bad,

This did not hapen for neither 1 of us!

As much as we thought fusion was not our best option at the time. Fusion would of been our safest bet back then , Me in 2004 and her in 2006 i believe,

I did not know anything about back surgery at the time, But after these past few years i am positive both of us would of done ok if we had simply had the old fashion fusion and sure we might of had some mechanical pain as most do after a fusion.

But we would of never sufferred such damage to the nerves as this that they have no way to fix.

Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Charry sorry it took so long to reply but Alex is correct I'm up craps creek without a paddle but I have to admit it was a blessings to find him as having the same thing done but was hoping he had better results . We have concluded by what research we have done that the clinical trial was not just stopped for monetary reasons but also defective device resulting in nerve damage that they just don't want to admit. It seems like everyone with this disc follows the same path. At the time I thought I did adequate research and was making the best choice . Now I know I was wrong. I made the choice to try it . Alex didn't get that choice . He got screwed . Ya know I told doc that if I could get into S and M fetish maybe we can make this pain work right ? Lol. Not a chance.:)
  • Wait. What do you mean you had a choice? Was yours not done same way as mine with clinical trial. Where you go in to surgery and you dont know if you get fusion or adr? Thats how i got mine, i thought yours was same way but i cant remember for sure,

Also what is S and M fetish? I am lost. Lol. I thought i had every fetish known to man kind. So what the heck is s and m?
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Yes Alex it wAs a clinical trial and I don't know if it was randomized when they opened us up or not but I was pushing for the ADR based on the load of crap the threw at us In the sales pitch and what limited data I had . I now know i was wrong . Surgeon came out and told chris he had to really shove in the disc because i was too small and it was worse than on the MRI . So I really should have gotten the fusion. I took a chance at a clinical trial and lost. Guess that was the game . As far as s&m " chains and whips excite me!!!!" ya know turn this pain into a sexual experience .lol
  • Hmmm oh ok lol got it,
    2012 scs implant ,
This discussion has been closed.