Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Scared especially signing the consent form.

• It is very normal to be nervous when looking at the risks involved with any spine surgery. Only you can answer your question though. Each of us has had to weigh the risks versus benefit of each surgery or procedure. For me the risks were worth it. It doesn't mean that I wasn't nervous or scared spitless. Just means that I felt I had no other viable option.

• Hi christi ,

What surgery are you having?
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I am having an ACDF of c5-c6 and possible c3-c4.
  • I had C3-7 ACDF in May. My surgeon told me he could promise that the success of the surgery was to prevent further damage. I have had some improvement in the pain down my arms, which was the most worrisome issue. Pain in my neck vary somewhat from time to time.

You'll be fine. Check through the site for things to know/have on hand for after the surgery.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • I'm #1 chicken - I hate even a simple blood test - forget an IV!! Nurses would tell me to grow up - I wanted to punch em.. For a week before my surgery I cried buckets. 2 days before it was my birthday. I told my husband I needed to stay busy to I wouldn't sit and cry all day. He rented us a room at a swanky hotel here in Orlando. It rained, but instead of us getting down, we headed to a Disney World park and had fun! That is a great place to not think of what is coming. The next day it was beautiful and we floated in the lazy river for hours. Sure I still talked about it but keeping busy was right for me. The day of the surgery - here came the waterfalls again. Even the doc right before they put me under told me it wasn't an emergency and we could not do the surgery! I told him just knock me out and get over with it!

At 4 weeks post op - 3 levels C4-C7 - I'm very happy I had it. Sure some good some bad days. I've learned I can't plan my days but go along with what my body has planned. The meds for muscle spams make me dizzy and sleepy - that was yesterday I had 2 very long naps. But today - I spent 3 hours at a Disney water park! Granted all I did was sit carefully in the lazy river and go waist high in the wave pool. But even at 4 weeks I can have pain free days!!

My point - research your options talk to several docs (I talked to 4), I even had 2nd apptms with some and booked and cancelled the surgery with one doc before I went thru with it. Talk about the MRI. My doc told me he found much worse conditions once he got in there. I am so glad it is done, hope I never have to go thru with it again. But if I had to, if the pain was like it was, I would do it again. The pain of a knife under my left shoulder blade for about 6 weeks is enough to convince me for sure - worse than labor pains!

Hope this helps a bit.

• I'm an oddball in that I don't get into my "oh crap, surgery is coming up" mode until a few days prior! In 11 days I get most of my cervical spine fused into my thoracic. I know more is in the future, but trying to ignore that aspect of it. Maybe I'll luck out! (G)

The key is "nervousness, stress, anger, fear", all of that is NORMAL. My surgeries to date (as far as I am concerned) have achieved the goals to which I had them for. My bad is my neck and back are going south from crashing a helicopter - so lets just say I am not surprised anymore.

Like was said by others, if the surgery achieves the planned goals, then it is worth it, but it is a personal/individual decision as to whether to have it or not. I know for me, mine have been pretty much "no brainers" in that I had to have them or face worse issues.

I hope all goes well for you. :) *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Just wanted to check on you and see how you're holding up since I haven't heard from you. I don't think I ever asked what day is your surgery scheduled for?

We'll all be sending you positive thoughts so you're not alone. We'll also be here to help you through your recovery. You'll wake up and wonder why you were so nervous--I know I did. Don't get me wrong, if I was facing surgery soon I'd be nervous all over again!

• Thank you all for your reply. It has helped me feel a little better :) I am scheduled for surgery tomorrow 10/3/11 at 10:30am. I will update when I can. Thanks again!! :)
  • I had alif at l5s1 on the 28th of september. I was also like you, cried a lot. When I got to the hospital, I was fine. We stayed at a motel a hour from the hospital so that was nice.

I am sure you are very nervous too, but in the end I hope for all us that it is well worth it.
    >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Hi Everyone.....Had my surgery 10/3/11 Came home last night. I am doing great so far! It was not at all as bad as I thought that it would be. Acdf of c5-6. I am amazed how the pain on completely gone. I just keep getting hiccups a lot.
    Thanks 4 ur nice messages, thoughts and prayers.

• Welcome to the other side! Glad that everything went well. The unknown before surgery is always scary, usually more than what you feel post op.

Glad that your pain is gone =D>

Continued success with your recovery. Look forward to hearing how you are doing as you recover. Be careful not to overdue things even if you are feeling well.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012