I finally have a new appt with an attorney (I hope he is the one and he takes my case).
History: Personal Health Insurance and secondary health insurance, auto insurance (no med pay) and 3rd party auto insurance (will settle eventually but haven't paid a dime yet).
I have a history of spine problems and was T-boned by a young driver April 27th,2010.
My car was driveable and I drove my friends to their hotel and then home to wait for my husband who took me to the hospital for x-rays (I was 8 weeks out from cervical fusion). I had serious spasms in my back but they wrote it off as whiplash and to follow up with my NS.
I had appt scheduled the following week (if I remember right). I saw the NS PA and she thought I would be fine just delayed fusion and whiplash. I continued taking my painmeds and saw her again in 6 weeks.
At that point my car was fixed and I was still in pain. I begged for ESI/Nerve Block and they sent me for one. They then decided to send me to PM (same doc who did the first block. PM was good for me. They got my pain under control eventually. I had finally had my first Thoracic MRI showed lots of damage. I had 3 more ESI type injections with out great results. I also have a CT with Myelgram.
Saw the NS again and he said Thoracic fusion when I can't take it any longer (This is about December). Continued in PM. Looking at options - no SCS or Pain Pump yet.
Now we are into Spring. Pain is out of control again. Upped my meds, saw NS. Try tol hold off on surgery. X-rays neck to check my PLL. That is okay.
Now we are into summer NS wants me to have EMG for my neck... I say no. That is not the problem. I go to appt and they order new MRI- further damage at t-spine. At this point I am now having numbness in my left thigh, burning stinging, itching etc. There is constant 24 hour pain in my upper back and numbness in my back and pain reaching undermy arms into my chest and lots of nausea
Second opinion NS suggesting XLIF at T7/8 after new ESI to double check T7/8. Old NS suggest Tranthoracic discectomy & fusion with hardware and agrees new ESI while waiting for surgery. Tells me to get on the schedule if I decide on procedure.
In the meantime I have been contacting personal injury attorney after personal injury attorney. No one is interested in my case due to the fact that I may have had pre-existing injury of T-spine (DDD) and my other spine surgery history. Medical insurance isn't paying (wont pay unless ordered to do so by some one) They tell me to hire attorney &&&&&& DUH I am trying &&&&&.
I actually have an appt next Thursday with someone (crossing my fingers & holding my breath).
Today I get a call from my PM office staing they wont give me another ESI unless I pay 30% of my bill ($660)I am already on a payment plan giving them $100 monthly in good faith.... I owe them $25,000 already.The gal did say if the attorney takes the case and has the appropriate lien filed then it may be ok.
I owe another $13,000 to various imaging places around town. I have to pay my NS in full for each visit. I have paid them about $2,000 since the accident. I have spent about $600 on pain meds. Thank God my prescription coverage hassn't been denied.
If I have the fusion I will be out of work for 2-6 months (may never get to go back). I will be hospitalized for 3-7 days and it will cost more than $250,000 (surgery & hospital staff etc). My PLIF was $264,000 for 5 days I am going by the cost of that.
My life revolves around this nightmare. It seems completely unfair to me that I have to go through all of this when I was injured by some one else. I have pretty good insurance coverage- never have had to pay any money for anything. I am not prepared financially for this.
Please some one tell me it will be okay. I feel completley overwhelmed with the stress of this. If anyone knows of any links that help people navigate the insurance industry please send them to me.
Also I want to encourage all of you to make sure you have med-pay coverage on your auto insurance. I wish I was more educated where insurance is concerned, I would have been better off.
Thanks for any input.