Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Have my surgery date in Oct! Anyone else in October????

SplendagrrlSSplendagrrl Posts: 108
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Finally have mu surgery date for October after my insurance denied my surgery as medically unnecessary, my surgeon talked to the insurance doctor and it was overturned and approved right then as medically necessary. Of course there were so many things they had missed in the reports like my radiculpathy in both legs, and buckling of one leg etc..etc..
Anyway my surgery is Oct. 17th first thing in the morning. I am having a two level Anterior Lumbar Inter-body Spine fusion on L4-L5 and L5-S1. With decompression and of course fixation device.

Anyone else having surgery in October??? If so what are you having done?? I would like to know who is with me next month for surgery and if you are starting a blog or anything. By the way does anyone know of any good personal back pain or back surgery blogs that people have written that are actually patients???

I am now realizing this is only a little over two weeks away. OMG!, Petrified and glad at the same time. Of course I do not want to go through this at all but the pain is so bad I have no choice, so now just want to get it over with.

I have prepared some, I bought satin sheets, I do have a memory foam topper for my bed, I just purchased the grabber and the toilet wiper...lol Now I just need the shower seat and a bed tray for everything. Is there anything I am forgetting????

• Yeah!!! They did keep your surgery date you originally had. Most excellent Ms. Splenda!!! I just finished my pre-ops (chest x-ray is all that's left). Cleared to go. I don't have a time yet, but most of my surgeries are the first ones due to being allergic to Latex. My date is October 11th...

It looks like it all worked out well for you in the end. Good for you!!! *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hope it is OK for me to "follow" you. Nothing like a stalker admitting it lol ;)

I have much of the same injured areas as you do - hence my reason for following.

Plus of course I will be happy to give you friendship and support :D

Do you have a laptop so you can keep us updated while you are recovering?
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Yes I will be taking my iPad so I can update if I can. I was also thinking of making a blog soon and write about everything step by step. :) Of course I do not mind that's what we are all here for support, to learn, help each other etc....Will you be having spine surgery Humpty???
  • I have added you as a buddy :)

Great about having a ipad.

No surgery for me unless they come up with some new info or ways to handle my injuries with corrections needed.

However I will admit that is in part why I want to follow you.

I want to "see" how and what is being done to correct L and S damage.
    All my L's and my S are shot to he*l!!! TONS of nerve damage.
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I'm having my spinal fusion on C1/C2 on October 12th - a day after Brenda and a few days before you. I just had my pre-op testing done yesterday and I'm pretty much a basket case at this point! Just trying to focus on getting the things done that need to be done ahead of time & getting my work situation set up for my temporary helper. So much to do!
    2011 C1/C2 Fusion due to os odontoideum & fracture from motorcycle accident
    2014 L4/L5 Herniation
  • I am having a microdiscectomy of my L5/S1 on October 5th. Less than a week away.
  • One of the things you will absolutely want, at least one of, is a reacher/grabber. You can get them at target/walmart etc. I like the one that has suction cups on either end as it tends to pick up heavier items than the one with a 'hook'.

I, too, had my fusion postponed twice due to insurance. I did some detective work and found the person who was "pushing the paper work through". I called her daily :) I was falling a lot. I called my surgeon directly and once he was involved and not his office staff, it was approved in seconds.

I'm a firm believer that things happen for a reason.

Wishing you all the very best! Shari
  • Thanks Shari, Yes I have prepared a little bit I bought the satin sheets, the grabber, walker and toilet wiper...lol I have taken a lot of advice from this board. :) I still need to get the bedside table and a few little things. :)
  • I know how you feel I am a ball of nerves already!, Looks like we are only a few days apart. Please come back after surgery when you can and keep us posted so we can support each other. Praying your surgery is a success !
  • Wow only a week away you must be a lot more jittery then the rest of us. I can only imagine because I am freaking out already and mines two weeks away! Looks like so far there are 4 of us having surgery the first few weeks of October. Please make sure to keep us posted so we can give each other support. Good luck on your surgery day and I wish you all the best! Prayers are being sent your way!,
  • I had my surgery just 2 weeks ago so I don't really count as in your month but I wish you the best of luck!!! The thinking found while I was in hospital in the first 2-3 days that saved my life was cold grapes. Green seedless grapes. I had such a sore throat and sensitive tummy that all I had was these grapes... Just so you know as soon as the surgery is done your on the mend. I have to keep telling myself to slow down because I'm virtually pain free but if I do something that im not ment to it feels like I'm being stabbed!! Haha so just take it easy post opp and keep us updated huh?

Best of luck
  • I have my ACDF October 10th. Good luck to you!
  • It is scarey when you are schedualed, and ready to go. We are all here, and I can also give you advice for some things seeing I had surgery 6 days ago!
    You seem well prepared! I have NONE of that stuff, but I am going to have hubby get me a grabber.
  • Thank you for the grape suggestion, but I do want to wish you the best in your recovery! Keep us posted on how you are doing! :)
  • I want to wish you the best on your surgery as well! Thanks for the good luck wishes on mine, make sure and stay in touch!
  • Heidi,
    How was your surgery?? How have the first few days been? Was it as bad as you thought pain wise? Any advice for me getting ready to go in? I wish you all the best in your recovery and will be praying for you. Yes I am starting to get scared and starting to think Cancel Cancel! Lol even though I know I really need it. The count down is on for me and I am getting worried. Did you worry about if you were doing the right thing? Did they give you a brace to wear?
  • I'm having a PLIF L5S1 on October 31st. I have been reading other posts for a few months, learning as much as I can. I had to have a hysterectomy almost 5 weeks ago, so I will go back to work for about a week and then the fusion surgery.

I have a physical type job so I am unsure about returning to work after fusion surgery. How soon if ever can you do heavy lifting?

Good luck on your surgery!
  • Hi,
    I'm having ALIF of L5-S1 on Oct 19. Freaking out.
  • Howdy Oonamilk,

Welcome to the land of "October surgeries!!!" Me, next week, 5 levels...yummy. Nervous is normal. The key is if you have faith in your surgeon, and too diagnosis, you are good to go. A few days before surgery, give yourself a treat (din din, a movie, time with friends a few beers a happy hour), and try to get ready. You will be on the other side soon enough. :)

• Thanks for the support! I do have faith in both surgeons that will be working on my surgery, and the diagnosis is clear in all the films, so thanks. That puts me at ease.

I'll be thinking of you. I wish you the best for your surgery and recovery. Let's keep in touch.

See you on the other side... :-)
  • Oonamilk,

You'll find on here unlike in our daily lives, "we get it", and are there for each other. Yeppers, see ya on the other side!! *HUGZ*

• Welcome to spine health!Glad that you joined us, after reading for a couple of months.Sorry to hear you are having two surgeries less than 2 months apart.

Everyone is different with their healing time and returning to work. It is a long haul, but taking the time to recover completely is so important.

I have not had a fusion yet ( had discectomy 3 months ago, now awaiting a fusion) I am in nursing, and am sad to think that I probably won't go back to it ( at least not in the same capacity, on the floor)

Wishing you all the best with your surgery. Please let us know how you are doing, leading up to and after your surgery. We are here for you.

Wishing all the October surgeries all the best!

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012