Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C5 -C6 fusion changes in laughter and crying

zigazziga Posts: 143
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Wondering if this makes sense to anyone?

• What I mean is if that you notice that after a cervical fusion the way you laugh and cry changed.
  • I had c4-5 done and nothing like that has changed. My voice was a little deeper for the first couple weeks post op but that's it.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Thanks! Well I don't know what happened with me...
  • Are you talking in the frame of "emotional" changes to laugh or cry differently (different reasons) than before surgery? That happens sometimes as all the crap they pump into you from surgery starts to come out.

When was your surgery?

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.

• Hi, I think your surgery is soon to be, hope everything will be great for you. Hope you are still being able to not smoking.

Well I am very depressed and I laugh very little but cry a lot. I notice that my crying and my laughter change after the surgery. I think I am hyper concious of everyything... but I really enjoy my laughter and well before surgery even though I was depress I did laugh and maintain some good sense of humor. Now when I laugh it feels faky and when I cry is different and I think that its sound and feeling change because maybe in my weird case my laughter was combine with the motion of also c5 c6.

And well yes... I was able to be more organize before surgery... I am so confuse in pain, no stable place to live, no job and well I just wish I could say... at least I got to do a lot of the stuff I wanted to do, I was just starting to feel good with myself.

When do I ever will feel comfortable laying down... certain movents give me a headache. I've been trying this day to belief in getting better. I just wish there was a great program, with exercise, walks in trails, voluntary work in the program so it would not be expensive, exercise to help with regaining concentration and structure...

I feel so weak that my will sometimes is not enough. There are a lot of people here that seem so strong and brave it amazes me. I feel so strange in this body, I guess I still don't understand how I got here and still think I live in the world were I think I should live.

I know I have to be greatful, but feeling my pain and my memory so strange and crazy mood swings.

Well It's been 8 month, but the recovery has been difficult, specially because I have to move in the middle of the recovery among other things. for example my surgeon did not give me specific recomendaions but to not move my neck abruptly during the first 2 weeks, then he sent me to PT. I had fever of 41 the feirst week, I also cut my hand and had to get stitches... and well a serious of unfortunate events, that I know must of us are familiar with it.

Thanks so much for stoping by and asking!

• Ziga,

Thank you for clarifying and adding detail. Surgical recovery can make us overly emotional and fussy. I've found that I cried on stuff that I otherwise could care less about, or would laugh at something so stupid I would otherwise ignore!! (G)

This will be my 6th nerve related surgery, 3rd for fusion (sort of ummm...large one), and I already know my emotions will be all fubar'd with the chemical changes, and then my body adjusting to the changes from the fusions. As for smoking (lack there of), thanks, don't even miss the buggers much!!! I get an urge, but its mental and I push it out. :)

You just have to let your mind know that your body went through trauma from the surgery, and "cut yourself some slack" if that makes sense? I know it might sound weird, but much of our emotions are messed up for a while after surgery (hehehe...hell even just before surgery!!! snicker). I am NOT looking forward to my mental "change" as my body dumps all the drugs...yuck!!! The good side is I know it is coming...hehehe.

We are here for you, so please keep us posted on how it is going. Gentle support *HUGZ*

• Just reread your post a bit more....A lot of us are "brave", but it really isn't so much of brave, is we have gotten to "understanding" we really don't have a choice. We either live with it or be miserable. Sadly, when you know there are changes that won't "go back", then we adjust to our new normal?

Is that for the good? Not always, but we might not have a choice, so we have to make positives out of where we are at? My surgery will stabilize my neck, and hopefully stop further damage..what I have now (weakness, numbness...function issues) will not get better.. I have lived with this for years, and to (hopefully) know it won't get worse, I am good with that!! :)

So Ziga, the key is, with surgery, we hope for stability or improvement, not always the case, but stay positive, and work with what you have. Life is good. :) *HUGZ*

Sorry, I am one of those that tries to keep the positive with all the negatives....(G)
  • Hi Aviatrix again!

Best wishes in your surgery!!

When I talk about change in laughter I am talking more about the sound I make, I feel it change, it does not comes out the same way as well as crying. It feels as when you are trying to turn on the car but it does not start. Is more a structural thing I feel but obviously also the emotional part affects, things that make me laugh well they don't anymore as much. I am ms. seriousness trying to sometimes make some jokes.

But I like it that you see the positive side really! I also know about all the stuff they put us in... definitely it messes up at least to me our chemical balance. I know that the power of the will is important.

I have read your story and admire your attitute.

Thanks for sharing!

I think I am mostly frustrated because from what I have read here some of you wait more time than me, to get the surgery. I did not have weakness nor pain in the neck. I did have pain in the eck for a while but it resolve. I had pain in my arms but it wasn't that bad... I guess that is just so difficult for me to adapt to a new me when I think that the old me was better.

Some of the people in the forum has taken the time to help me move on. Thanks to one person in particular I started downing the klonopin, and started doing PT again.

I wish you so much good energy and strength for your upcoming surgery! Good music, food, movies, books... whatever you love!

• Your 'voice box' (or in laymen's) throat was moved over for the surgery, so that too might change for a bit the laugh and cry sounds. I would say, give it time, and hopefully those sounds will return to 'normal' for you. :)

I've been pretty lucky in that most of my doctors realized I had issues and looked to find out what they were. This go around I was basically (and at first my hubby didn't think so...now realizes... I WAS RIGHT!!) blown off by my original surgeon. I did a LOT of research, and found what so far seems to be a wonderful fit for my mess. Pain or not, I would rather have really good, vs really fast at times to deal with this stuff if that makes sense. :)

My hubby shocked me tonight in that he admitted that he'd been looking on the net about Neuropathy and Myelopathy!! Love that man... He knows (esp. at my age) chances of improvement are very, very skinny, and I am okay with that - just trying to keep it from getting worse.

I'm glad that you are able to see Z that there is a positive side to this stuff. No, we will never be "as we where", but life can still continue to a happy degree!!! I feel a lot of it is ones attitude. I've had friends with horrendous diagnosis's, yet are the happiest campers on the planet - go figure right? Lemons in life, we make lemon aide... otherwise life sucks! (G) I choose lemon aide!! Gentle support *HUGZ*

• Hi Brenda,

Sometimes I may repeat myself because I am tending to forget. I think I am still dealing with side effects... I reread your post and it make me feel good and with hope!

Thank you for taking the time,

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    I laugh less

& cry more!

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!