Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just told I need another fusion! Are revisions EVER successful?

kathyykkathyy Posts: 580
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Almost 3 years to the month since my first fusion, the neurosurgeon I have consulted with tells me I need at least another level fused due to a bad herniation at L3-4 plus all kinds of "other" complications! Might also need L2-3. Had both a CT and MRI with contrast as evaluation tools.

First of all, I have already set up another consultation to get a second opinion with a well known and highly regarded surgeon who is both a neuro and ortho and is a teaching doctor. The down side is I have to wait for 5 months to see him.

My pain doc is on board with me and is going to try to aggressively manage my back pain until I can get to see this second doc. Pain doc said I have a very "complicated" spine and probably can't avoid another surgery.

All of that being said, does ANYONE ever have a better result with a revision? This will be my second fusion surgery and if it weren't for the extreme pain I'm in and my lower extremity weakness, I wouldn't be considering it.

Thanks for your help on this.