Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help! New to SI Joint injections

gliders1ggliders1 Posts: 62
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Sacroiliac (SI) Joint Problems
MRI report said:
Remote mild anterior wedging at L1 and L2. Small L2 hemangioma. T12 to L1 central disc protrusions. L2-L3 broad based disc protrusions and mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing. L3-L4 broad based disc protrusion and mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing. L5-S1 disc desiccation and loss of disc height broad based disc protrusion mild bilateral foraminal narrowing. Mild indentation on the thecal sac throughout lumbar, degenerative disc disease thoughout lumbar with worse level at L5-S1.
Went to neuro and he said no surgery right now, sent me to therapy and to a PM, they are doing the SI Joint injection next week to be followed by epidural injections. I'm worried and would love to have any feedback on this, don't quite know what I'm in for as this is all new to me, help!

• I forgot to mention where my pain was, lower back but radiating to my legs and hips where I have weakness and pain as well as my behind , I've tried aqua therapy, physical therapy and numerous NSAIDS and Vicodin to no avail
  • The only thing I can tell right now if there going to perform a sacroiliac joint injection under fluroscopic guidance at least have a diagnostic injection first where the solution is only an anesthetic. This way you can evaluate whether medication into this pain generator actually correlates with a significant reduction of your concordant symptoms with simple activites of daily living.

You may not be suffering from a sacroiliac joint pain syndrome. How does your pain radiate into your thighs and calfs? Anterior vs Posterior vs lateral thigh and calf? If you are having weakness that you feel is signifcant maybe an electrodiagnostic evaluation may provide some insight on qualitative damagage some of the nerve roots emenating from the spine. Hope this helps.

Amish R Patel DO, MPH
  • Thanks so much for responding. My pain starts at the area near my SI joints, goes across my behind and my hips and down my leg on the outside. So I guess that is posterior?
  • I have had injections in my SI joints under the fluroscope. An anesthetic is injected first. These injections are diagnostic also to make sure it is the SI joint that is affected. In my case it is.

I am given a relaxant and then into the OR for the injection. I don't remember anything. Sometimes you are not as knocked out as I was but I subconsciously tense up and then it is not as easy for the PM doc to get the needle all the way in. I have a lot of scar tissue.

I have had success with cortisone in the SI joint but not in other places in my back.

Good luck.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • I had my first SI joint injections on 10/6. They were only going to do the left side but after talking to me and then my neurologist, they decided to do both sides. I will be going back on 10/26 for some epidural injections. I have had about a 30-40% reduction in pain in the SI joint area only, nowhere else. But I still feel as if they were a success because any pain reduction at all is welcomed at this point.
  • Injections were done with fluoroscopy but no sedation just the anesthetic