Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Thoracic Member

SailerSSailer Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi all

I'm a 44 year old male that had a chiropractor push down a bit too hard on my mid back. Its been pretty much a constant pressure/ache since that day almost 5 months ago with some radiating tightness and mild pain to one side of the rib cage (right). The epicenter of the chiro hit seems to be from dead center to slightly to the right. I'll call it minor on the pain scale but still a complete nuisance on its way to being a real drain on my outlook as keeping it in check often involves an aspirin and menthol rub regimen. It varies through the day with some movements seeming to bring on a later higher level of ache indicating inflammatory action of some sort. Definitely have some new clicks in the spine at that area when I make certain movements too. There is no pain directly associated with movement fortunately so I have tried to stay active but have refrained from heavy duty weight lifting work outs which I really miss. X-rays are unremarkable per Dr. at the spine center.

I'm more interested in diagnosis and prognosis without invasive treatment and he wants to do an MRI to rule out disc involvement although he thinks it is unlikely that this is the issue. I've read the forum a bit and it seems that MRI can be useful in seeing problems with facet and costovertebral joint problems but not always. At this point, barring a disc problem being completely responsible, either of these seem like possible reasons for my problems. I'd be appreciative of input from anyone who's had a thoracic issue of this sort and might have some insight or suggestions as to what I should direct the MRI tech to do as this will be on my dime so I want to try and get it right. Thanks

• hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. an MRI can produce some very important pictures the xray cannot produce. i will let someone with thoracic experience speack as to the value of the MRI and it relation to that region as i am a back person!! please have a good look around and make yourself at home.. i am sure some spineys will drop by with some advice for you as we are a very friendly group!! good luck and i hope you are feeling better soon!! drop by anytime! Jenny :)
  • If you have the MRI you will at least be able to rule out a disc issue. The doctor can see the ligamants too. Might as well check so you can move on.

Welcome to SPINE HEALTH :)

• and welcome to Spine Health.

I believe that the MRI scan provides most information when looking for a diagnosis. A CT scan can also provide detailed information, but generally an MRI scan will show enough to give a diagnosis. That being said, there are occasions when things don't look as bad on the scan as when the surgeon gets in there.

I am about to have a full spine MRI done on Monday. In the past, I have been told that I have facet joint hypertrophy and disc thinning, bulging, protruding, and end plate changes along with other things. From that you can see that the scan will show both soft tissue and bone changes and problems.

I hope that they find out what is causing your pain and will be able to treat you conservatively. :-)

• Thanks for the info

I've set up an appt. for the MRI next week. Found a clinic with a 3.0 Tesla machine (good resolution) for a reasonable price.