Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Depression Update-New Meds-Thank You ALL

asignor908aasignor908 Posts: 339
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello fellow spineys,

Thanks to someone on this site I learned that the Luvox I had been taking for 14 years did not mix well with oxycodone which I have been taking for pain for about 3 years in increased dosages which just happens to coencide with my depression getting worse to the point of hell on Earth.

Thanks to someone on this site who informed me I took the information to my doctor, and what do you know, they were correct.

Now I have been prescribed Cymbalta which was difficult for the VA to get for me due to cost, but they did it and I started it yesterday while lowering my dose of Luvox until I'll be off totally by Sunday, Praise God.

Whoever it was who took the time to inform me about the Luvox you probably saved my life because I was in a very bad mental state along with the chronic pain and I was at the edge. Now I have this great thing called HOPE thanks to all of you.

Depression really hurts, but Cymbalta can help !!! Oh, for my sake, please do NOT tell me any potential negatives to this drug. I need the HOPE I have and so I don't want any negative suggestions to enter my mind at this point even though I know it would be well intentioned.

I guess you can tell how excited I am right now and how HOPEFUL I feel. I owe all of you and this site so much and I can't thank you all enough for the information and the TONS of great support. I wouldn't have made it without all of you caring people. You guys are the best !!!!

I am hoping to lose weight as well, Luvox is a big weight adder as well which I knew and dieting was impossible while I was on it.

Well struggles still ahead, but I feel like I have a new lease on life. Please pray for me and/or send good thoughts my way that this has the desired results.

Thank you ALL and God Bless
I do pray for you guys
Big AL from Cincinnati

• I didn't know of those drugs, and their interactions (mentally).... but just been supportive to your issues. I am SO GLAD to see that some of the "blend/mix" of meds has been figured out. You didn't need "megga depressed...101". So happy to see you are on a good road now my friend. Big happy supportive *HUGZ* to ya AL man!!!!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • With out your caring and support I don't know if I would have lasted this long. It was really rough for a long time with very little relief (mentally). I hope things are going well for you with your procedure. Please keep me informed.
    Hugz back to you
    AL S
  • Al,

You're good peeps!!! I am so happy that they finally "looked" at you and found a good mix!! I have my down days for sure, but not constant...I even went to a psychologist to be sure I was okay. I see mental illness, or temp issues like a bad toe...it needs to be looked at - not a negative (per society it is...screw em!!!).

I am here for you Al, know that!!! Yeah for me 11 days to slice and dice and a pretty well fused neck...hehe...hopefully except for the (moreso) loss of ROM, stabilization.. :)

• That's great news! So awesome to see such an upbeat post coming from you. Yes hope is incredible and very powerful. Harness it and take every bit of it you can!

• Yay!!!! I am so very happy that you have found something to help you . Give the cymbalta time to work and it will get better and better . Now get out there and do something that makes you happy! :) big hugs!!!!!
  • Your post made me smile. So great to hear the excitement in your post.

Good for you for taking your health in your own hands, bringing it up to the doctor, and getting a change in your meds.

Will be thinking of you, may this help you turn the corner and aid in better days ahead.

big >:D<
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I am believing that is what's going to happen. Took the new med again this morning with no negative effects, for me that's a great sign. I am so hopeful, finally.

AL S
  • I will give it the time and I look forward to better days ahead, it's been so long and so painful. I am so hopeful and happy to have hope.

Hugs Back

AL S
  • Thank you, I plan on it. I knopw I sounded like a big downer for a long time, couldn't help it though, just telling you all where I was, getting brighter now ;).
    AL S

• Wow! So good that you are better. Your hope give me hopes!

Hope you keep getting better!

• is a potential killer, which makes me soooo happy about things looking up for you, Al. Having been through what Winston Churchill, another victim of depression, called his "Black Dog," I could totally empathize. Years ago, at one point before being started on an antidepressant I'd be driving down the road and I'd start to think, "Take your choice, Sally - a utility pole or a tree?" Only my faith thankfully stood in the way of me slamming my car into either one. You've been in my prayers, my friend. Keep us posted. >:D< , Ess
  • I believe in prayer power and I am blessed with a family that has stood with even though this has been a long dark road.

I think finally found the problem and the solution. I see some light and I feel the HOPE that had faded. God is good and it's all the good people who have helped me through. I am happy, but almost afraid to be too optimistic for fear of going back down that dark hole.

Thanks and God Bless,

AL S
  • I certainly intend to keep getting better, I am looking forward to living again and seeing what is outside of my house again. You will too, keep the faith and don't give up. TMy answer was staring me in the face the whole time and everyone missed it.

Hang on and don't give up, I just feel so good and optimistic, the change is unreal.

AL S
  • Hello all,

Tonight is my last dose of Luvox, went from 250mgs a day, tonight I take 50mgs and I'm done weaning off of it and my depression is already so much better. Of course I have started replacing the Luvox with Cymbalta. All I can say is Wow !!! I can tell it's a great fit, nothing negative to report and this depression that dogged me for so very long is finally responding.

Thank you God, do I really have a life again, it's been so long it's hard to believe and again thanks to all of you without whom I would have given up a number of times and may have never found out that Luvox was the culprit .

I am so grateful to God and to all of you, and this web site. What a miracle.

Hope everyone else is doing well and able to appreciate their life too. What a gift I have been given.

God Bless

Big Al
    AL S
  • Al,

Your post/update put a huge smile on my face!! I am soooo happy for you my friend, what wonderful news indeed!!! Happy feet, and happy *HUGZ* for ya!!!! Congrats on getting your life back!! :)

• Thanks, even though I'm a little fat, I feel light and fluffy. Looking forward to continued improvements and renewed activity in my life. It's been a long time coming, I have hope plus now.

Thanks and hugs

AL S
  • Lol!! Ditto here thanks to Lyrica, but it beats the pain I was in...so it was a *good* trade off. Slowly nibbling it down though. Once you are more in continued 'happy', you'll get more energy and hopefully the 'fat' too will start to come down. :)

Baby steps...baby steps...baby steps!! Oh, did I mention, baby steps? (G)

• I'm thinking I should try baby steps first, it just came to me ;).

AL S

• Al thanks for your comment! I am so glad you are better!!!!

Baby steps, right?

ji ji
  • There ya go Al!!! *HUGZ* You are seeing changes to the positive in bits and happy pieces. That is such good news. Work with it, embrace it, go for it!!! I am so damn happy for you, it's scary!!! *HUGZ*

I'm happy, the hubby and I played in the pool yesterday, and after my NCS/EMG gonna hit the pool when I get home... Want to get at least 3 more pool sessions before surgery. I know I won't be allowed the aqua side of the house for at least 3 months, and by then (above ground pools), my pool "season" will be over down here... yeah South Florida nights cool enough to make the pool water big time chilly! Hehehehe

• I'm sooooo happy that you've got real hope now that your depression med has been changed.

Wishing you LOTS of happier days.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008