Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

9 days post op report from my 360 2 level fusion

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone!

Well I am finally able to write. On sept 21 first I underwent an 7.5 hour L4/5 and L5/S1 ALIF/PLIF Fusion i spent 6 days in the hospital. I have a 7.5 inch incision to the left of my midline with 35 staples anterior and 4 inch 15 suture incision on my posterior midline. The front incision was beyond sore it felt like my guts were going to spill out it hurt. the back was beyond stiff and painful and breathing hurt. My pain was a 10 or greater on the pain scale. I felt beat up. I expected all this though from reading on this site so I was able to coupe well. One side affect that i was not expecting was to have my right arm go numb for 3 days i mean numb and useless, I kept knocking stuff over like drinks and punching myself in the face it sucked.

PT did not come and visit me until the second day and I was thinking "No Way!!" gettiing up was the most pain i had experienced thus far. But once I was up and moving it was not that bad, I did better than I thought. After that I was walking every day more and more.

I also got a blood clot that was superficial I guess cuz they didn't do anything about it. Today i have to have a duplex steady to check the status of my DVT. Hopefully all will be well.

I healed rather quickly as the days went by and feel like I am doing awesome. I am still sleeping like shit and in pain need help getting dressed and on the toilet but everyday is better than the last. I definately feel that if I keep on this track then my surgery was a sucess. But it is far to early to tell. I am glad I had this procedure 90% of my pain is post operative and I am feeling great compared to before the procedure

• massive operation .i have sent you a PM hope to keep in touch
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • It sounds like you are doing fabulous with your recovery!!

After my 360, in the beginning, I thought of my days in blocks of 4 hour time periods. In that block of time, I would take my meds, try to eat a little, walk and try to sleep a little.

I, too, was in the hospital for 6 days. While I was hospitalized they gave me benedryl at night to help me sleep. I continued that when I got home.

This hospitalization my surgeon gave me IV steroids around the clock! Those steroids caused me to be wired! I was climbing the walls and didn't sleep a blink. The next night my nurse came in and told me as much as she loved my company, I needed to sleep. After an ambien, I did sleep.

Fusions take a long time to heal and recover from. They are also full of lots of ups and downs, with highs and lows. Hopefully, yours will be smooth sailing, but if not, we are all here from you and we understand!

Wishing you the very best! Take care, Shari
  • i still have the blood clot and the doctors r not doing anything about it should i be worried?
  • Good to hear from you this early considering what you've been through.

It's all hard work during recovery, but with your good frame of mind, you'll eventually get there.

Have you still got the blood clot and how did the DVT check go?

Hoping that you'll find some joy in each day as you start to heal.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Hi.. I am scheduled on Jan 27, 2012 to have the same surgery. ALIF and PLIF. They are taking some bone from my hip for grafting. I am SO FREAKIN NERVOUS about this. Thanks for the heads up on the recovery process. I am ready to get this behind me.
    Good luck to you