Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Intramuscular Ropivacaine injections as revolutionary treatment for chronic pain!

1000YardStare11000YardStare Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Chronic Pain
I've started injecting my neck, shoulders and back where C3-C7 innervates, daily. I use (or get help to use) insulin needles to inject 18ml of 2% (180mg total) of ropivavaine, one ml at a time, at multiple points in any muscle that hurts. This is about 20-30 points for me. This includes 'trigger points' as well as equal points along the entire muscles to achieve total numbing.

The result is that I feel no pain. My chronic pain goes on vacation for 12-24 hours.

Seriously, this lasts for between 12-24 hours. The pain of injecting is not a problem compared to dealing with pain all the time. Ropivacaine is pretty safe for this kind of thing - it is engineered to not be cardiotoxic like bupivacaine. Prior to this i was injecting lidocaine, but having to repeat every 2-3 hours was tiresome at best.

Once we finish injecting, I am NORMAL again, for the first time in a year. ALL DAY!

To me, this seems a revolutionary treatment for chronic pain. Why am I the only one doing this? Why aren't doctors prescribing this just like insulin for diabetics? We can block our own pain! We can cure our symptoms, one day at a time!

I am not a doctor, but I am doing this treatment, and it is giving me my life back. I got a JOB! I could not work before, but I got a part time telecommute job because of daily IM ropivacaine.

I'm posting this here because I don't know where else to post it. I wish I could post it in a medical journal. This is the way forward. There is no tolerance. A few little pin pricks and your pain will melt away all day.

Can you imagine? Its like Christmas morning as a child :)

I am not a doctor, and you should not try this at home without consulting a doctor. But there are doctors who prescribe lidocaine for this purpose. So there must be some who will prescribe ropivacaine too.

• Where do you live? And who prescribes this treatment for you?

Before this you was injecting lidocaine? As far as i know this can only be done in a medical facility.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I too am curious about where you live and how you are getting the stuff to inject. I see my pain management doctor every 2 months for trigger point injections in my neck. He is very cautious about how much he will inject, limiting me to only 6-8 spots because if he uses too much medicine that will cause more harm than good.

He will only do it every 2 months due to the potential for more scarring. He said any more frequent than this and I will be in worse shape than I am now.

So please tell more. I would love to find something that will work like you are describing, without causing more harm.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Do you manage to get time in a spa or hot tub? That is one of the best things for me in the evening after a long day, is to use the bombardment of moist heat on my shoulders, neck and arms. Since you spend so much time on the computer have you considered getting a chair that has a head rest and adjustable arm and height built in?

Don't know if it would apply in your situation, but I have found one of the "side effects" of my spinal cord stimulator, is that it helps control my cervical dystonia.

I have had the doc inject my shoulders with a similar cocktail as you and the instant relief was astounding. I also use Flector patches that target specific areas of inflammation. So when I over do things and can hardly lift my arms, my husband will place one or two patches over the inflamed area and it helps a bunch!

Another thought, have you tried "dry needling"? One of the neurologists I have seen, found that my neck would respond to the dry needling, where it wouldn't respond to Botox.

Sorry for the scattered thoughts here. I was reading through your posts and wanted to jot this down real quick before I leave for the day.

Best wishes,

• I wonder would it work on this nerve burning in my spine to my legs? Or what type of pain is it good for? Just muscle pain? Hell i would try anything because i already have tried everything that dr,s has to offer,

I always said about the only way to probably control this pain is having to do injections almost dailey, i just never knew or heard of anyone actualy doing it,

Please tell me its for nerve pain also, Because then i am on my way to pain dr,s house to kick his door down, i will torture him for holding out on me untill he gives it up ,

Git-ir-done. Hey you have to do what you have to do to live. Being in this kind of pain for life is not an option, I am glad you found something that helps,

Its worth looking in to it for some people here i am sure. Its not always for everybody of course,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Lower dose of lyrica not too bad, but as i had to increase it just made me slow and brain dead, Unless i was already brain dead before the lyrica but just did not know it,

Who do you know in illinois who does those injections? I am in illinois just south burbs of chicago,
    2012 scs implant ,
  • So how do you deal with dull needles. If you are doing 20-30 injections at a time, you have to be going through a ton of needles.

Also, are you aware of the significant difference between an insulin needle and an acupuncture needle? Acupuncture needles are rounded and solid so they can slide through the muscle fibers. Standard needles or insulin needles are hollow for medication delivery and they tear the muscle fibers each time they penetrate.

So I wonder if as others have expressed concern, are you really doing yourself more harm than good? I totally understand "living for today", but I wonder if sometimes we get so focused on that, that we forget about our possible future.

• C, i have to assume there was no future as it was, I dont think anyone would take the jump to do something so extreme as to inject themself dailey to be able to get by,

Unless there was no quality of life at all, Anything that works to stop a person from being home bound and the dailey suffering no mater how extreme it may sound its fear to say many of us would do it,

It beats having to sit and watch your life pass you by,
    2012 scs implant ,
This discussion has been closed.