Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF & Long Hair???

pitbullmamappitbullmama Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Just wondering if anyone had a problem with their hair being too heavy for your neck after surgery? I have long thick hair, its been thinned out but i still have a ton left. Any suggestions?

• I have long thick hair as well.. As far as surgery, I took a shower and threw it in a messy bun & they just put that hospital shower cap thing on my head. If you like your hair- don't do anything with it, you'll be ok. I had ACDF on 9/23- I can't do much w my hair right now as far as brushing it too much- I shampoo & condition leaning forward in the shower- as soon as the water is off, I wring out my hair and try to get most of the water out w a towel- then throw it up in a messy bun.. I can wear it down, but haven't tried blow drying it yet (if you're like me it just takes forever).... The first few days I didn't do much to my hair- I actually had my Mom brush it on like day 3 or 4- but other than that I'm fine. If you color it tho- do that ahead of surgery.. I didn't think it thru and I have a lot of greasy now lol.. It hasn't been overly irritating to deal with though.
  • My hair is about 2 inches below the bottom of my shoulder blades, and 2 ACDF's didn't have a problem with it. I'm debating this go around as I am having 5 levels posteriorly fused in a week... Not sure how the hair is going to work into that - so far planning on leaving it as is...

Oh, one other trick that helps reduce the pull or heavy feeling? I put my pony tail very high on my head - about even with the top crown of my head. It then feels very light. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thank you for the info.....I'm just looking to make this as easy as possible. I see you have surgery the day after me. Good luck! :D
  • I normally like my hair short, but my hubby expressed after I retired (as no more uniforms or standards for hair), he liked when I had it long....so been growing it. :)

Yeah this will be my sixth nerve surgery, 3rd fusion for the neck. Just waiting for "what time do I show for surgery..." (G) Good luck with yours as well. What level(s) are you having done? Gentle support *HUGZ* ♥

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.