Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

First an apology

Dawn65DDawn65 Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in New Member Introductions
I have been visiting your forum for several months and have obtained so much information. Thank you so much for putting this together. It's been a life saver for me for several months now.

I've only been dealing with chronic pain for about 6 months.. how some of you have dealt with it for so many years bewilders me. I'm still very new to this and am having an extremely difficult time with pain management, sleeping and depression.

I am currently having a severe flare up of my cervical issues so posted early this morning for some help in regards to sleep. I was exhausted, in unrelenting pain, and terrified to even try to sleep. Sleep.. my nemesis. He either eludes me, or I am afraid to actually stay in a single position for any length of time because frankly, the pain isn't worth it. I've conditioned myself to avoid it 8(

I am having an extremely difficult time concentrating today because of pain, but I promise I can actually communicate effectively and coherently.

I wanted to apologize again for posting without making a formal introduction first.

I have cervical and thoracic herniations..no falls or accidents.. spontaneous ruptures. Pain..weakness.. numbness..recently I even fell off the toilet because my legs went completely numb..they've done this before..but actually worked..even though I couldn't feel them 8(

I was receiving epidural injections and had already done 5 rounds of trigger points until I developed pulmonary embolisms.. halting all invasive procedures for now. Meds are currently my only source of management. Been to PT and chiro.. no real proof, but chiro may have been a HUGE mistake as I went before I had good MRIs done to reveal the herniations. I've been under the care of my PM for 18 months. Prior dx for a year before the herniations were Myofascial pain syndrome, possibly Thoracic Outlet Syndrome and Fibromyalgia.

Here is a list of my current meds.

20 mg oxycontin 3x every 8 hours
30 mg roxycodone for breakthrough pain up to 4x
4 mg zanaflex 2x

previous meds include percocet, lyrica, soma, valium, cymbalta, prednisone, tramadol, flexeril and nucynta

I look forward to mostly reading... for right now.. but wanted to apologize for not entering the right way.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    I certainly understand there is an excitement to find a site like this..the best!..and all you have experienced to this point...you want to get that feedback that you are not alone!
    No need for apologies..You'll work through it!

Wow..that embolism is a situation all by itself.

There will be those understand of your situation who are so willing to share their life to benefit others..you.

It's so good to keep good communication with your doc.
    Sleep seems to be quite the common denomintor with pain issues. You'll find commradarie and shared experiences here.Some may work for you, some may not!
    And this site, besides the articles and such..the search here can help you find topics already discussed..shared...and may benefit you now.

Keep in touch.You're not alone!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• its not the length of time you have been in pain pain is pain and we know what you are going through .many of us including myself have been in pain for many years 10+ {16 myself} but there are many on here with 20+ under there belt !! .we tried to help as much as we can through our own personal experiences and just the fact we have been through the system many times {pain clinics /physio/operations painful procedures etc.so if there's anyhting you want to know there will be someone on here with an answer !
    welcome again
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I've been going through this since I crashed in 1985. Time in pain, doesn't really matter, it is pain - period.

You have found a great place for not only support, but for folks "that get it" as they say. Hopefully your doctors will truly isolate what is going on to help you. Again, welcome aboard!!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. no need to apologize for getting here a different way!! so long as you are here is all that matters!!good luck finding pain support.. i do hope you find some relief soon! i have been a pain patient for over 40 years now so i know well the ups and downs of pain.. be sure and make yourself at home on the forums.. stop by anytime, there is always someone home! Jenny :)
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. I'm glad you stopped poking your head over the fence and finally came into the yard. :-) No need for any apologies.

I'm sorry to hear about the sudden pain you've been dealing with. My cervical issues in 2008 were a sudden onset also and I thought it was random, as yours seems to be. But my doctors and I found that it actually started from a bad car accident I was in 30 years ago when I was too young to think I might have spine problems resulting from the head-on collision. My cervical started collapsing back then and finally my cervial spine just couldn't take it anymore and began to scream at me.

As everyone has said, pain is pain no matter how long you've been deaing with it. In fact, I think sometimes that it may be easier for the long-timers because we've already gone through the greif that comes with losing our normal lives and now just try to deal with the pain with the many options out there.

You might want to read "The Blend" in the FAQ section for Ron's many ways of dealing with pain, sleep deprivation, etc. There are a lot of different things we can do to help aleviate some of the issues associated with our pain and the pain itself that are non-conventional, but work for many.

Again, welcome and I hope you get the support you need here where we get it when those who don't have it don't understand. (Did that sentence make sense?)

Anyway, take care and please keep us posted.
  • Welcome to the forum, Dawn!

Sorry to hear you are in an acute phase. Pain is pain no matter what. I too have cervical problems that stem from an accident in the 90's due to herniations and am pre-surgery. I can only say I hope you find some relief soon and some answers. Stop in and let us know how you continue to do.