Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cervical stenosis C-5,6,7

vernvvern Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I'm new to the site and wondered if anyone had any input on my MRI results. Have not seen neurologist since getting results from chiropractor. MRI states stenosis at c4-5 measures 6.6mm, c5-6 measures 5.7mm and c6-7 measures 6.9. How severe is this? I know it's like half the normal size. I had previous MRI 2 years ago for 2 herniated discs at c5-6 and c6-7. At that time some mild stenosis was noted. This report said moderate to severe and all stenosis is due to osteophytes at different areas/places in the canal. Is this a drastic change in two years? Have radiating arm pain, finger numbness, pins and needles, neck pain,losing strength in arms, etc. Also have had very progressive neuropathy(burning, tingling, numbness,electrical shock type pain, etc.) in the feet and legs that started 6-9 months after first herniation 2 years ago. Neurologist has found no underlying cause for the neuropathy and has exhausted all tests for it. Could the stenosis be causing this too?
Thanks for any replies.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    You really need to take your Mri results to your doctor. Everyone is so different.
    I could have tingling down my arm from arthritis one day...and next month..it's a heart attack.

There are other tests to run to help doc figure out your situation. Most benenficial to me was the EMG.
    It showed doc the nerves that were damaged and he came up with a plan. I didn't even have to say a word. He got all the feedback from the machine.

Even if doc says he finds no reason for your pain.. like I said there are other tests..but also, doc can treat your symptoms without knowing exact cause. Etiology unknown is written more times than I ever imagined.

Good luck to you and hope you get relief soon!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Thanks for your suggestions. I do have neuro appt in 2 weeks but that is just a long time to wait and wonder.

I seem to be taking more and more meds for the neuropathy. I've been on gabapentin for 18 mnths and the dose just gets increased each time because the symptoms are worse each visit. Now I take tramadol for the days when the gabapentin doesn't work and now add in the new neck pains and numbness and I take even more tramadol. Just were will it stop, you know? I"m 41 yrs old and looking at 30 yrs of meds in my future. It's scary.

I know there are many on this site much worse off than me and have been dealing with it much longer than me, I commend you guys for helping others out by sharing your stories and suggestions.

For those of you that have had surgery for the stenosis, was it because of the symptoms you were having, the severity of the stenosis or because the Dr. said it was your best course?

My chiropractor has told me the neuro will likely recommend surgery but he would like to try some other things first (exercises, traction, adjustments, etc.)I just don't see how this will help the stenosis. It helped 2 yrs ago with the herniated discs, he was a lifesaver, no surgery then. Has anyone had success with chiropractic care?