Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My sciatica experience so far...

I'm a Firefighter in Florida and unfortunately being cared for on Worker's Comp. Her's my issue. I hurt my back on 8/11 and I'm having terrible sciatica pain. My right calf aches all the time, like a cramp,constantly. Mr outer right ankle feels like someones stabbing it, constantly. While sitting down for more than 5 min. my right foot gets pins & needles, goes numb and feels cold. I get electric shocks in my right big toe when sitting and sometimes walking. If I constantly reposition myself when sitting this starts to go away. My right buttocks has an aching, sharp pian. My right outer thigh sometimes gets tingly and feels sensitive to the touch. my MRI shows compressed nerves at L3 and L5 with herniations. Anyways here's the kicker. After telling the comp doctor all of this he fully released my to full duty! He said this is all nothing and will resolve on its own. he never sent me to PT or gave me ANY meds. Anyone else have this issue? I now have an attorney

• You need a referral to a Pain Management Dr. and Orthopedic Surgeon. My Dr. ordered an EMG/nerve test for my leg when I had numbness and tingling, you need to get these referrals and get some pain relief. Have you been to Physiotherapy? You need to contact WC about a second opinion Dr. that will help you. If you have a Union Rep. you can get some advice from them. I'm glad you got a Lawyer. I hope you can get some relief soon. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks, I talked to my union but here in wonderful Florida unions are very weak and can't do much. My lawyer is getting me to the second opinion phase but the second Dr. will be as bad as the first one. Worker's comp is the devil.
  • People who suffer from sciatica pain should learn about sciatica exercises. You can definitely get a good amount of relief from the pain if you actually incorporate these types of exercises in your life.

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Moderator Numbskull
  • It took me a full year to recover from sciatica. Here's what worked for me - lyrica, pain killers, massage, ice, heat, lots of stretching (see exercises for sciatica, and also I had a tens unit. I've been back at work for 4 months now after being out for almost 2 years and today I had a sciatica flare..because, I'm sure, I stopped doing my exercises. Also, I bought all kinds of things advertised on the internet to stop sciatic pain but the best money I spent was for an inversion table. this is great.. hanging upside down helps decompress the spine and feels wonderful when you get off.

I truly feel for you and your situation with workmen's comp, but I had regular insurance and it was still a nightmare. Be Patient, be good to yourself and definitely persue overturning that verdict from the WC doc. You will need time for your back to heal and no way in hell can you do your firefighter's duties in the kind of pain you're in.

Take care and keep us posted.
  • Do you only have the sciatica or the numbness and weakness too??

i've had sciatica for 8 wks with numbness and weakness in the leg.

Not only is this causing me pain in the hip and my knee due to pain. I walk with a limp. My next step is surgery since I have tried PT, accu, chiro, ESI.I'm only 33.

I made my appt this afft because I'm getting so deppressed.

i hope you get better soon aswell as everyone else.
  • Thankfully I don't have any weakness. I have numbness and pins and needles in my R foot when I sit too long. I also have the uncomfortable pain that comes with it.
  • Well, I've seen a neurologist and another ortho not part of worker's comp and they both said the worker's comp guy should loose his license, but he won't. These worker's comp doctors are untouchable. What a wonderful system we have in place. It's like a dictatorship of doctors. You're in pain and hurt and they tell you there's nothing wrong. The worker's comp doctor gave me a prescription for Naproxen, which is Aleve! What an ass. I went to see him with my MRI results and my sciatica and he cleared me to go back to work with 100% improvement. Oddly enough he changed his mind after my attorney called the city.
  • Frustrating and I won't even go into my feelings on the union. That aside, so glad you have a lawyer helping you. And, glad you got a 2nd opinion.

Yes, sciatica can be managed with NSAID's and PT. I managed for 17+ years with that approach. On occasion, I would have to visit the doctor for prescription NSAID but for the most part learned how to properly lift, bend, and limit twisting. I kept my core strong.

The only good thing about the WC doctor is that he wasn't pushing surgery. Surgery is a slippery slope. But sounds like he did very little in the PT area.

Good luck. Feel better.