Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone Have Pains Like This?

twedelttwedel Posts: 2
Years ago, I had sciatica down my left leg. It was textbook sciatica. Not sure why or how, but it finally went away on it's own.

Now I am experiencing pain in my right leg. Here are the symptoms:

1. Ache in my lower butt that moves into my right thigh. Not the back of my thigh, but the middle/front of my thigh.
2. I have no pain sitting or lying down.
3. Sometimes I can walk for a mile or so before it starts hurting. Sometimes when I'm just standing in the kitchen cooking dinner it starts hurting, and gets worse rather quickly.
4. The pain is a combination of an ache like a charlie horse, and a darning needle being shoved down my inner thigh.
5. I've not found any medicine that relieves the pain.
6. What's interesting is that all I have to do is bend down and touch my toes (stretch) for a few minutes, and the pain goes away for a while.

I know that I should probably see a doctor, but I have always suffered from a severe case of white coat syndrome. Any one here recognize what I have described above? If so, what is it, and how were you able to correct it.

Thanks for your help,

• first of all your age and sex would help with some form of patient to patient diagnosis and then it would only be patient based .so a professional medical opinion must be sought for your benefit .to be honest with you i have been in pain for 16 years ad i am knowledgeable about spinal problems BUT there are so many things it could be ..without the aid of medical photography and blood work i think many doctors would not be able to give a correct diagnosis.my advice ,,see a medical professional.
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I am a 52 year old male. In regards to blood work, are there specific tests that would help. I get blood work done several times a year to make sure my blood pressure medication is behaving itself.

In regards to my Sciatica (?), I can press a certain area in my lower spine and it hurts. It also temporarily aggrivates the pain in my leg.

The more I read about surgery and shots, the more I am concerned that those either don't always work, or cause other problems. I have also looked at different stretches, but there are many websites that recommend stretches, but they're all different. I don't know which ones are effective. Also, are there any over-the-counter medications that provide any relief.

Thanks for your help, and I do understand your comment about going to the doctor. I'm building up my courage.
  • Personally, I would go visit an orthopedic spine doctor or neurosurgeon.

They will likely do tests, get a baseline, and then suggest a good Physical Therapist.

In the earlier days of back pain, I had sciatica. It would get pretty bad sometimes. And yes, surprise me (if I tracked it, I could always tie it back to some 'twisting' type motion like sweeping or vaccuuming...I worked in a restaurant). After PT, I did get some 'safe' exercises and one did include just relaxing like you are suggesting touching my toes (but the PT showed me how to do that safely)that would take some pressure off.

Does icing your lower back help?

Anyhow, wish I could offer more suggestions.