Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Update following latest post op surgeon visit after infected hardware removal 6 weeks ago

nelnnel Posts: 402
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi again!

Well, I feel that I am back in the position where my surgeon isn't listening again. He seems to have reverted to his old "I've fixed you now" attitude.

When I got in today I told him that I still feel rubbish and am having a lot of the left sided pain that I had been having since the last flare up in April and the one that resulted in him taking the hardware out in August. I told him that the pain gets worse with activity (not that I can do a lot still) and that I am taking my painkillers regularly yet am still in pain all the time.

He basically said that it is too soon to say anything about the pain or to order more scans yet.

He said that my screws were very loose on the right (makes sense, until August all my previous flare ups had been right sided) but that the infection was spread all over the metal.

He said to finish the course of antibiobtics (they run out Wed) and then go for bllod tests in two weeks. He has also done x-rays to "assess the state of the fusion".

I told him I was scared to stop the antibiotics in case the infection comes back. He told me it wouldn't, but I have heard that before. (Last October and May!!)

The thing is that I really don't think he has sorted this out yet. This pain I am having is really horrible. I can't imagine how I will manage to go back to work if it doesn't get sorted out. It definitely gets worse with activity - I currently walk once a day for about 35 minutes. The other day I added a brief trip to the small local shop and I really hurt that night and the next morning. The pain is mostly in the left side of my lower back, maybe near my pelvis, I can't really pinpoint it though. When it gets bad it then goes through my hip, down my thigh, into my calf and even into my foot.

Anyway, I am seeing him again in three weeks and hope that he will listen to me then. He did say that now that the metal work is out that he would be able to see more on scans so maybe he will do some sort of scan next time?

I do feel pretty fed up at the moment. We have cancelled our holiday to Cornwall in three weeks because I don't think I could do the journey and even of I could I wouldn't be able to do anything once I got there!

Thanks for listening

• Bless your heart, you have been thru so much!

I am sorry you are still in pain. Keep taking your pain meds as you need them. It is great you are walking and 30+ minutes is awesome!

Walking keeps that oxinated blood pumping around your wound and helps with the build up of scar tissue.

I'm sorry about having to delay your holiday. Maybe you could have a nice over night in a hotel with a comfy bed, in room movies and room service! Oh, that sounds so nice!

I can really understand about not feeling well yet! I keep telling my friends and family that they will know I am feeling better when I say that I am getting bored. Today is day 21, and it hasn't happened yet!

I know 6 weeks seems like plenty of time for the nerve pain to settle down, but try to be patient! Those nerves get really teed off! It takes nerves so long to heal/recover, only a few cm per month.

Hang in there Helen! We are here for you! Wishing you the very best! Take care! Shari
  • Hey Shari!

I know what you mean about knowing you are better once you start feeling bored - I am not there yet 6 weeks later!! I think that maybe I have lowered my expectations of the day so that I have no desire to do things I can't and so I am satisfied with my one outing per day. At least I get to go out with the dogs now - that was the only thing I missed!

We have booked a day in a local spa during the week we were supposed to go away - following doctor's orders to the letter - I am supposed to rest and take it easy!!

The thing I am worried about with this pain is that I am not sure it is actually nerve pain. The pain is in my back. But I suppose that as the pain meds don't touch it that it might be nerve/referred pain? Who knows?? I just want this all to be over with.

If I am going to be left with this pain I wish someone would tell me so that I can try and find some meds that work or so that I can at least work out how to live with it.

Have you reached your two mile "target" yet?? How is your little dog enjoying the walks? Thanks for your support.

• I love it! Great minds think alike! A day at the spa! Just what the doctor ordered!! :)

I can understand the back pain, I have the same and at times it worries me.....but, I know they say it takes a while for soft tissue, muscles, tendons, etc to heal after being cut apart. And....you have had quite an infection for way too long....

It can be so hard to be patient as we wait to get our lives back....but, we WILL get them back! This has been a really long journey for you. But there is light at the end of the tunnel! You are so close...hang in there!

I guess I am getting close to the "targeted" 2 mile mark. I know the distance of my morning walks, but I'm not certain of the distance of the evening walks. I was feeling so much internal pressure that I decided to not measure the 2nd walk. And just walk....

My little Yorkie loves to go for our walks. She now associates when I get dressed and put my brace on, it is time for our walk! :) She gets so excited! It's a bit sad, my big dog wants to go, but she pulls at times and I just don't feel comfortable walking her yet. Soon, hopefully!

Hang in there Helen! When is your trip to the spa? Hoping that your pain begins to lessen and soon you will feel bored! :)

All the best! :) Shari