Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

this sound right?

klk56kklk56 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have had 2 cervical surgeries the last one in 2009 now we find out that the screws have broken and backed out. One screw head is encroching on the esphogus. Swallow test clear.My question is this.... My Dr.'s want to do a total fusion from the back of the neck to include all vertabre involved c4-5 c5-6 c6-7. then later on they want to re enter the front and remove old hardware and the screw head. dose this sound like the best options.
ant in put is welcomed.
advertisement

Comments

• MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,615
    Sounds similar to what happened to me ... Had a two level anterior that failed .... then 1.5 years later I had a revision 3 levels anterior and posterior with cage and rods and new larger plate 12 screws. I have another level thats blown so I maybe heading back towards another revision.

Welcome to Spine Health Kathy! I hope we can help your confusion !!

d
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)
    My Story  - Click below
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/discussion/44804/pain/neck-pain-cervical/long-and-winding-road
    I am not a doctor nor have I ever played one on TV.  Therefore any comments made are based on my experience.
  • Similar to Dave above, my last fusion failed, and thanks to delays, it helped cause the majority of my cervical spine and top of thoracic become unstable. My hardware is solid, so for me they are going in the back and decompressing 5 levels (laminectomies) and then fusing me.

I'm guessing that presently for you they figure if they lock it down in the back, the hardware won't continue to move; and as such they can go in later to address it. Sometimes they do the front and back the same day... Please let us know how it goes.

And of course, Welcome to Spine-Health!!

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • My Dr's took my case to other Kaiser Dr.'s /Specilist should I still get a second outside opinion? I am more concerered with the second sugery when the go in to remove old hardware and get the screw head out of the esophagus.anyone out there have that done?
  • Kathy,

Most here will tell you to get as many opinions as YOU need to feel comfortable with your decision. :)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
advertisement