Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery tomorrow - getting anxious!

tarin520ttarin520 Posts: 17
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have my microdiscectomy tomorrow and have been a basket case the past two weeks. I'm starting to accept it, but of course my nerves are shot. So many people are telling me it's not a huge deal and recovery is quick as long as I walk, walk, walk. I'm trying to explain to my daughter (who's 3) that Mommy is going to a special doctor and even though I may not be able to bend or sit down with her on the floor, soon I'll be able to play tag with her all the time. Hopefully her and my husband don't kill each other while I'm recovering (she got his stubborn side, so it's always a class of the Kinder-titans!) My pre-op is at 9:30, and my surgery is scheduled at 11:10. I don't know what I'll have with me in my room, if I'll have my phone or what, so I will try to update if and when I can.

• I think spine surgery is a big deal even if it's a miscrodisectomy it's still major surgery and recovery. Check out some post op must haves you may needhttp://www.spine-health.com/forum/back-surgery-and-neck-surgery/post-op-must-haves-0 I pray your surgery goes well and your recovery and hope you have someone to help you at home during the day since you have a toddler. Take care and keep us posted. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I've not had back surgery yet, but will down the road. I have surgery next week (see sig), and understand your being nervous or anxious. NORMAL!!! :)

I love when I hear "I'm only having a...." Surgery is serious regardless of "type" on your spine. The good thing for your nerves is these docs do these surgeries all the time, and are obviously very good at what they do. Try to treat yourself tonight with your daughter and hubby, and try to relax. Gentle understanding support *HUGZ* for ya!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • the micro D is one of the better ones to recover from .just follow the recovery instructions to the letter .good luck again
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Best wishes tomorrow.
    Sounds like you are in the right frame of mind.
    A little nervousness is good b/c it means you do know it's a serious surgery and you'll take recovery seriously.

Indeed no bending, twisting, lifting...or playing tag for quite some bit. And yes, walking is great to keep scar tissue off the nerve.

Just remember that just because you feel better, it won't mean you should jump back into 'normal' life. Give your body the full 6 weeks to recover and then really up to 3 months to ensure you are good an healed!

I actually felt like it took me 6 months to start feeling like myself again. The surgery will make you really tired...don't feel guilty if you need to sleep.

Good luck! Pretty soon you'll be in recovery mode!
  • Will be thinking of you today. Any type of spine surgery is scary, but think of the after effects. Recovery, feeling better, getting back to life.

I'm sure your husband and daughter will do just fine, while you concentrate on "you" and "healing"

Big >:D< coming your way.

Look forward to hearing how you are doing when you are able.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Today the worry and anticipation of upcoming surgery will be over and the recovery and healing can begin. I hope that all goes well and that you're recovering soon.

It will be hard with a toddler but she'll really help take care of mommy...they're so precious. Good luck with keeping the peace between her and hubby!

Take care
  • I also had the same as you, and what others have said about bending and lifting is so true! I hope everything works out well for you :)
  • Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the kind words. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all. Although the surgery went well, I had a spinal leak and had to stay overnight at the hospital. When I woke up from Surgery, I had zero pain in my legs, it was fantastic. Of course fast forward that night and I could not get comfortable at all- kept trying to position myself and would have pain in my back and muscle spasms through my legs. The same electrical pulses as before. I'm assuming it's the nerve calming down from the surgery, but we'll see. I'm finding nighttime is the worst as I can't lie on my back, but getting comfortable is non-existant. I'll keep you posted as the days progress.
  • Glad to hear that surgery is over and you are home now.Too bad about the spinal leak, did you have a massive headache from it?

Now on to the road to recovery. I am sure your daughter is glad to have you home. There are lots of things you can still do with her while you recover. Curl up in bed and read her a book, snuggle and watch a show/movie. She will adapt to doing relaxing activities with you, and the time will pass till you are able to get around and play with her again.

Did your doctor give you any muscle relaxers to help with the spasms? Get lots of rest, try to walk little bits at first and build from there, don't overdue it.

Wishing you all the best!

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012