Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I think not all doctors are the same...........

HeidiLynnMHHeidiLynnM Posts: 445
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Okay, I called my surgeons nurse(he is great), and told him that I need something for nausea because the meds are making me sick. Well he is going to order that, BUT the doctor wants to see me on the 19th, and he will want me off the morphine totally. :?

My doctor/surgeon doesnt believe in long term narcotic use at all. I thought that was weird to hear. They also say I should start getting better within the next few weeks. I am so confused that I want to scream ~X(

I have been doing well as far as meds go. I havent had to take them around the clock. I do take them when I am in horrible pain. Last night was a rough one.

So, I am curious if any of your doctors are the same as mine? They say that I will become addicted to the meds, and that isn't want to happen, well I dont want it to happen either!!!!

I do have a pm doctor which is great because I can go see him for the pain, but he will want to do another procedure@@@@ I am stressing, and it seems like I just got a simple surgery done in my doctors eyes. I told the nurse that until THEY go through surgery, THEY have no clue@@@@

• My NS is like yours. If you need pain meds, you do need to see your PM. Surgeons are not meant to manage your pain. Their job is to see that the surgery end is done correctly and there are no complications.

My NS released me after just under 8 months post-op because I am fully fused and there is no movement in the fused level. Never mind the pain I still have! I have been referred to a physiatrist for "non-surgical" issues. So, yes the surgeons don't really care once they are done with their jobs. Good luck with everything and know that recovery can take a long time. :)
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • I just can't believe how they say that I should be doing so much better in a few weeks. I guess I go for xray to see what is going on in there, and maybe to harass me, LOL. I am a comp case so it is going to be very hard for me to get a OK from the surgeon, and the pm says NO.

My pm is very pushy to try all different things for me. Before surgery, he want to put that pump thing in to send signals to my nerves. I said no way!!!!!

I guess I am just a tad annoyed. I am taking it easy, walking up and down the stairs. My legs hurt so badly, back and stomach. I swear if my surgeon tells me that I should be fine when I go see him I will have a fit!!!!!!!!!!!! ~X(
  • You are only one week post op! I was on meds 24/7 for the first 2 weeks post op, then started cutting back a little, for the next month it was in the afternoon and night, then just at night, and now I take it usually in the evening or at night if my pain is bad. That is maybe 2-4 nights a week. My NS did refer me to a psyitrist, and my psytrist put me on a muscle relaxent as well and sent me to PT. So far it is helping. The PT is for my back not my neck. My neck screwed up my back!

I am surprised they want you off the meds already. Are you taking a muscle relaxant too?
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • You are still very early in your recovery so I think you should have no problems getting meds from your PM.

Have you considered changing PM doctor? Pushing a pump is nuts! That seems to be the last thing you try.

My NS told me that if I still have pain by 9 months post-op then the pain will stay with me. Well, I started to panic after he released me. Then I ran into my daughter's classmate's dad, who is a rheumatologist. He told me that full recovery can take 12-18 months. I have no idea how my NS is coming up with his numbers. How does he even know if he is releasing his patients immediately after fusion? Just because you are fused does not mean that the nerves are healed and your muscles are back to normal!

All I can say is that patience is really the key to recovery from a fusion. I don't know how some people are back to normal so fast. Even my acupuncturist says that most fusions take at least a year.

I totally understand your frustration and I felt like crying when I was in the NS's office. Hang in there and get your pain under control!
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • I am fine with coming off the meds but my gosh 2 weeks after surgery?! I do have a muscle relaxer. So odd............I am glad that I do have a pm doctor!
  • Heidi,

My surgeon told me that due to changes from the FDA, he is limited on how long he can prescribe me narcotics post surgical. I forgot if it was 6 weeks or 6 months (kind of leaning towards 6 weeks), then you get kicked to PM...

But like was said, you are pretty fresh out of surgery, so like the others, I too am a bit surprised... Oh, and NO spine surgery is minor!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • First~very gentle supporive cyber hug!

You are so EARLY in your recovery! Please don't let anyone tell you or convince you of anything different!

After my fusion, my surgeon sent me to PM right after I got out of the hospital. Around the 2 1/2 week mark, I called his (PM)office in tears, needing help to manage my pain. After that, I was taking Oxicodone 10 mg 1-2 every 4-6 hours for pain and hydro for break thru pain.

Little by very little, ie every month or two, I would slowly decrease my pain meds.

With this surgery, my PM came and saw me in the hospital. He is managing my pain and prescribing my pain meds from the very get go.

Do you think they were implying to stop using moriphine as the pain med? That I would understand.

I don't think your PM will suggest a procedure this soon after your fusion as there is a risk of infection with injections and they can't take that chance.

I needed an injection into the nerve that runs from your hip bone to your pelvis after my fusion, but my surgeon said no way because of the risk of infection. It wasn't until 6 months after my fusion that I was able to get an injection into the level I blew above my fusion. And only because I begged!

Can you call your PM? Schedule an appointment but they should be willing to help you until you can get in since you are already their patient.

I hope this helps! Hang in there! There are so many hiccups along the road to recovery following a fusion!

This site is a true life line! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers! PM me if you want/need to!