Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What questions should I ask my NS at ACDF check-ups?

surgerysoonssurgerysoon Posts: 28
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Recovering from Surgery

I had C5-6 ACDF on 9/23/11. Thus far, I have the typical recovery type pain (incision, neck and shoulder blades), mild difficulty swallowing and insomnia. All of which I will discuss with my NS at my 2 week follow-up visit, in a few days. I'm driving myself. This will be my 1st time driving and I feel comfortable. :)) I plan to return to work (desk job) 6 weeks post-op.

What are some good questions that I should ask my NS at my post-op visits?

Thanks! D
C5-6 ACDF 9-2011
C4-5 ACDF 11-2014

• Had C5-7 ACDF with my own graft, bone spur(s) removed on 9/29. I was terrified going in, but my NS gave me a great deal of confidence and the surgical center took great care of me during my overnight stay. Not particularly looking forward to the scar on my neck - but I couldn't live with the pain any longer.

I am curious if there are some exercises out there that have worked for others, in early recovery? As recovery progresses?

Any advice on discussing the recovery with your employer who doesn't seem to comprehend this is a painful procedure that requires some time to recover from???

If anyone who had their own grafts have any advice for the hip pain in the late evening that radiates down my leg that the pain meds don't seem to touch?

On a positive note, to give back a little. I haven't been able to look up without excruciating pain in over six months - Now I can. I am hoping this is just one of the gifts of the surgery.

• Well, I saw my NS 2 weeks post op. We discussed my symptoms, progress and next steps. Oh' I also got a x-ray. It's hard to believe that I actually have a plate a screws in my neck.

Questions I asked:

-Is it normal to have a lot of shoulder pain? A: Yes, it s very common. Some of it is caused by how you are strapped to the table during the surgery. Doctors taped my shoulders down.

-Will I cause the metal dectors to go off? :). A: No

-When can I expect to be fully fused? A: 6-12 months

-What can I do to help me shoulder pain? A: Try PT.

-When is my next visit and how long will the NS follow my care? A: 4 weeks, the day before I return to work. I'll be 6 weeks post op. NS will follow me until I am completely fused.

Well, the week after my visit I stared PT 2 days per week. It's really helping with the shoulder pain and spasms. Also, I am off all meeds!!!!

Good luck everyone.
    C5-6 ACDF 9-2011
    C4-5 ACDF 11-2014