Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Discectomy and spinal fusion surgery scheduled

sarahd28ssarahd28 Posts: 20
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Now that my surgery is finally scheduled, I have gone from feeling anxious to schedule to feeling terrified of the surgery itself. I could use some support from people who have been there, done that. What should I expect? How bad is the pain after? How bad is the scarring? How do I deal with my fears before the surgery so I don't go insane in the next month waiting?!
Sarah D

• Just wanted to wish you all the best with your surgery. I have had a discectomy/lami but am now needing a fusion, so although I can't offer you any personal advice, I am sure others who have already had fusion will chime in.

Have you looked at the surgery "must haves" thread, to give you an idea of things you may need (ie grabber, raised toilet etc)also good to have things at waist height as you will have bending restrictions. Maybe make ahead or have others, easy meals that you can pop in microwave.

Natural to feel nervous before surgery, but soon you will be on your way to recovery.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • first good luck with the surgey i will tell you what my consultant told me ..it will be about 4 hours in theater maybe up to 7 .then in to ITC for a day or two then on a orthopaedic ward for up to 14 days .he said you will feel like crap for a few days .but hopefully within 3 months it should have been all worth it .he went on to say that recovery will be long and hard work taking up to 3 years yes i said years ..BUT BUT that's my back you may be different ,i have already had 2 failed surgeries and i have many spinal problems and i am 45 and not in good health .hopefully you will fair better ..one bit of good advice i will give you for when you come hope .get a decent recliner NOW even if you have to get one on finance .they are a god send .and if you get one that rises and reclines you will be able to sleep on it and when you need to get up it will stand you up..if money is tight {and it is for all of us!{} have a look on ebay or you local papers .i have seen many high end rise and recline recliners go for very little money ..good luck again ..my op is on the 29 DEC this year
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I guess it is normal to be nervous, but, I am super nervous. I have never had a surgery other than my c-sec. I did look over the list and plan to print it and check the things I need to pick up. And I also have a recliner that I got before my son was born, they are seriously the best piece of furniture ever, so many uses! I just feel like no matter what, I wont be prepared. I am very anxious about leaving my son and husband for so long, after the hospital I will be staying with my grandmother until I am healed enough to deal with an eighteen month old wild man! I don't know, there just seems like so much, and I am only one person who can do very little.
    Sarah D