Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C-5 C-6 Disc hurniation/bulging with C-6 radiculapthy suregry question

DwayneGDDwayneG Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
In 05/15/10 my Sgt. gave me whiplash during drill i had askeed to see an MTF as my arm and neck were buring he refused. then on 05/17/10 I had been released as i am ANRG, so i had went to ER the doctor told my unit i needed to be seen with in the next week for an MRI, they refused because they had no autherization, i waited 5 months before i got my first mri, during that time i had been telling the nurologist my whole right arm was buring and hard to move.

He scoffed it off as i didn't want to work and i was making it up seeing as how the Military kept canceling appointments due to not having autherization. Once he seen my mri i got an apology letter from the nurologist saying treatment was an option and to get an emg. Waited 2 months for an emg autherization (while being told Not to go to the VA for care by my unit) showed abnormalities, and took over 3 hours to do but the nurologist (same one as before) did the emg and told me that everything was normal. It had shown c-6 ridculapothy

I went to primary care asked for second opinion referal it was given. Seen a second in dec nurologist he said that the previous report mri and emg showed c-5 c-6hurniation/bulging
with sevre righsid forminal stenosis and compression on th banchial perplex confirming rediculopathy and complex regional pain syndrome (reflex sympothetic dystrophy) which would explain my inability to use my right arm.

The county CVSO then sent me to the VA on 12/29/10 which echoed all symptoms listed before they gave me 70% rating overall giving max rating for injuries, by this time the pain had went away in my arm and tyhe pins and needles and i couldnt feel my arm. I then seen a nureosurgeon who requested pt again and epidural. pt wasnt autherized until 05/10/11 which showed no improvement and the epidural was qoutright denied due to the severity of the injury. So then ii was told to see a nuro surgeon on civilan side when time came to see him military denied no autherization.

08/14/11 i went to the VA to get a new MRI and i was told that now i had bone spuring to the point it was covering the hurniation along with my left side beginning to degenerate. I was then out sourced by the VA in 09/30/11 to the same second nurologist i had seen on civilian side who then turned around and said the total oposite of what he had stated before and thought they could bring the nevre back with surgery ( the VA told him they would pay for any treatments $$$) and told me to be refered to nurosurgeon, and to omit any infor mation about my radulopathy, and Complex regional pain syndrom in order to push surgery otherwise i might get denied.

10/6/11 seen nurosurgeon told him everything, he said surgery may be an option only if new emg is done to show if the nerve has been crushed for over 17 months with no treatment then there is little chance i will regain funtion. If it is still repair able i might beable to reduce my neck pain but recovery of function would still be a small chance. I was then told by the VA to wait for an EMG appointment.

SO 17 months of waiting and looks like more im wondering if surgery is still worth it and i have been told the longer you wait to do surgery the longer the recovery time? I am only 25 and this has been really hard for me and im just wondering what options i have left.
Sign In or Register to comment.