Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Weaned off neurontin..

daisy maeddaisy mae Posts: 109
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Pain Management
and on the topamax...oh my. I have never been in SO much pain in my life besides childbirth. I am shaking and I am at a loss for words. I did the wean and by the time I got down to 400mg I was hurting bad and questioning why I was going off. But still I stuck it out. By 200 I wanted to die, literally. I was on the verge of going to the ER but I didn't only because of how crappy they would treat me (and have). So I called my pm and got in on the Tuesday (OMG..2 LOOONG days later) and he did tpi all over) and it seemed to have taken the edge off a bit. So I am currently on 25mg topamax in am and 25mg in pm and ll the other stuff in between (I will work up to 100mg) At first I had really bad heart palpitations..but so far so good. My head feels a bit funny and by funny I don't know what I mean, you know?
I do know that I HURT DAMN IT!!!! So...the Neurontin must've been doing something!!!! Here I thought the only thing I could thank it for was 10 pounds cause I still hurt all the time! Well...NOT bone on bone muscle ripping kill yourself spsm hurt like I feel now. Beads of sweat on my forhed kind of hurt.
Ugh. WHAT did I do??
I go to my church tomorrow evening for a healing ceremony. I pray it works a bit..even a bit..not 100% just enough for me to ply with my kids, to make love with my husband, to go for a walk..I'm only 35..PLEASE......
sorry for the rant guys

• Why did you go off of it? Do you have headaches? Is that why your Dr. wanted to try Topamax? I hope it works for you. Praying for you it helps once the dose increases, I take Cymbalta myself for sciatica. Hugs. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I went off the Neurontin because I felt that it wasn't really doing anything for me (painwise) and was only causing me to gain weight. I suppose it did help a bit but NOT to the point of 'pain control'. My dr always says we should get you at a point where we are managing your pain..when is that? It has been over 2 years now?
    I just feel they are tired of me and want to shut me up you know? I know you ALL know that feeling. It's SO frustrating! Don't you wish that just for an hour THEY could be in your body, try to carry on a "normal" day like we have to and then come back and tell us how they feel? Ugh. Never going to happen. When we weren't in chroinc pain I'm betting the majority of us didn't take life as a gift and run wild and free and do cartwheels and dance and give piggybacks and run up and down flights of stairs ..just cause we could. NOW we can't and damn it..I REALLY wish I did :(
    sorry..feeling really down today
  • I would give much to have even five (5) minutes of absolutely NO pain. However, it ain't gonna happen anytime soon.
    Disability retirement