Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Decompression Surgery with Fusion & Insrumentation

OMGMyAchinBackOOMGMyAchinBack Dix Hills, Long Island, NYPosts: 15
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am scheduled for my 5th spinal surgery on 11/18. This surgery will be a decompression of the facet joint @ L4/L5 to remove a lumbar facet synovial cyst which is impinging the nerve root @ L4/L5. I had decompression, fusion & instrumentation in 1999 to correct a spinal fracture at L5/S1 and grade I spondylolisthesis. In 2008 I had revision surgery to correct the failed fusion surgery I had in 1999. I had both PLIF & ALIF within a week of each other. In 04/11 I had decompression surgery @ L4/L5 to correct severe stenosis.

Has anyone ever had facet decompression? I am wondering what the recovery was like. I understand that it is BIG surgery as it is the most active level as far as movement of the spine goes and the fusion puts tremendous stress on the level above (L3/L4) it. My surgeon said it will be the worst for me "so far". He expects that I will be in the OR several more times over the years. Thrilled.

I also have severe osteoporosis which was discovered after the 2008 surgeries. 730 daily injections of Forteo into my stomach and now an annual infusion of Reclast. So far, treatment has done nothing for the osteoporosis.

• to spine health. Sorry to hear that you are going to have your 5th lumbar surgery. You have come to the right place for support, as we "get" it.

I just found out this week that I need surgery 2 and 3 (after just having my first 3 months ago) so can understand the feelings of going back under the knife.

I don't know about the surgery you are having ,and how it differs from a regular fusion but I am sure that someone who does will chime in. My facet joints are bad as well, and not sure how that factors into the fusion that I will need.

Wishing you all the best. Hope that this surgery will give you some much needed relief and delays any other surgery for you.

Look forward to hearing more from you, leading up to, and after your surgery.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012