Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

asignor908aasignor908 Posts: 339
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well now that I'm on Cymbalta I really don't feel nearly as depressed, but I do still feel in pain and sort of lost and empty. I know I'm still adjusting to the new medication and it may take time. It's just a weird sort of feeling, I still don't have the zest for life although I am doing more.

I guess I was expecting too much and maybe this is as good as it gets from now on, I just hope it will improve alot more in the near future. Don't mean to sound ungrateful, just feel lost and empty.

Hope everyone is doing well.

• You're definitely not ungrateful - perhaps the way you're feeling is one of the side effects of Cymbalta. I'm in Australia and I'm not familiar with this drug, but we probably have it under a different name.

Perhaps others here who've been on Cymbalta can help you.

In the meantime, here's a >:D< to start your day. It's 5.30 pm here, so I guess it's morning for you.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Thanks Trisha
    It is 6AM here now. No sleep last night and I guess I just had to much time to think
    But I do appreciate your response, I think maybe I'm just too impatient.
    Just have to keep hanging on to give the drug more time to work.
    AL S
  • If you went in thinking a pill was going to give you a zest for life you were sadly mistaken. Anti-depressants at best take the edge off. I know several people on Cymbalta. It helps with depression and pain from their back issues. But it's no miracle fix by any stretch.

Your problems are in your head, not a pill fix. Go get some medical attention in the form of therapy or psychiatry and figure out what is really wrong. A zest for life comes from someone who has their mental state under control. Not perfect, not magically fixed with a pill. Just understanding what causes their anguish, how to deal with it. Then how to focus their attention on more positive things.
  • Al, so sorry you're feeling down. Like Trish, a hug, I can send to you! And to add I hope you feel better, very soon!!! Don't gave up!!!
  • Hey there...the silver lining is that despite your 'empty' feeling, you said you are doing more. THe more you do, the more you will crave more of that, and slowly, very slowly...you will get your zest back.

I'm not on medication but wow, didn't realize how overwhelmed I was to think about getting out for a walk. Well, I made a committment to work out at my cardio class 1 day a week and walk 1 day a week (3 miles). That was the thing I'd look forward too, not b/c I enjoyed it but because I could say I "did" something. Well, 2 weeks ago, I added a day. It's a struggle but now, I am smiling each week I work out 3 times a week. And today, being so nice, I got out for 2 'workouts'.

Am I still hurting? Yep. And it friggin' bums me out. BUT now I have a goal...get out 3 times a week and when I do, I really feel I accomplished something and lo and behold, I start feeling a bit of that old zest.

It will come. The meds are helping you get out. In getting out, you'll start to find the zest...just be patient!
  • Hi,

I am not on Cymbalta but am on Lexapro, a mild anti-depressant. The psychiatrist said it would make me less competitive (I have been a competitive athlete all my life). I have noticed a change. The only thing I have left now is swimming (yes I have been a competitive swimmer for years) and I notice that the competitive edge is just not there, even at swim practice. Maybe it is the cymbalta that is making you feel the way you do.

Give it time to work and keep on doing more!! It is the best thing. Good luck.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • All of you are correct and I can relate with what each of you has said. I am grateful for the new lease on life and I am doing much more than just a week ago.

I am taking some interest in my home again, reapairs, daily chores, and grooming. I was so bad for so long that I had stopped taking care of myself so nothing else got any attantion either.

When I posted I was having a down time, feeling unusual, anxious, and fearing that this too was starting to fail. I let my anxiety get the best of me and then I ran here to post because I didn't know what else to do at the time. Had a much better day and I am back on a more level thinking as I should be.

Sorry I freaked, and thanks for the input.

All the best,

AL S
  • Al,

Proud of you man!!! You saw a problem, and went out to see about a fix, err... something to help. You still might have steps to take of course, but you are working it, and seeing it. Good for you my dear friend!! *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • That's terrific that you're taking more interest in life and doing things at home again.

No need to apologize for asking for support - that's what we are here for.

Prior to my surgery, I had a reaction to Lyrica - it was like I had a big weight on my head and I couldn't be bothered doing anything. I realized it was the drug making me feel that way and preferred to put up with the leg pain until I was able to get it fixed.

Hang in there and keep adding to your activities and you will eventually enjoy life more.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • It seems to be working, I am doing more and feeling mentally better. I hope I keep moving this way since I was in the dark place for so long. As always thanks for all the support, it's a great help and comfort to me to know others understand. I just don't want to back slide but I know that's just negative thinking and fear.

Take care and thanks

AL S
  • Okay dokay.... Big *HUGZ* is the answer!! I am so happy for you darlin!!!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thank you Brenda, you are wonderful as always and I pray things are going well for you. Please keep me advised.

Big Al
    ground patrol ;)
    AL S
  • You said, "Sorry I freaked." There's no need to apologize. The beauty of this Board is that we can say anything and not worry about offending (assuming, of course, we don't go out of our way to offend, but I don't think any of us is like that.) I am SOOOO O:) happy O:) you're feeling better and able to do more. We love you! BIG >:D< , Ess
  • :X I sincerely love all of you as well.
    I have received more help and support on here then I ever expected, it's truly been a life saver.

Thanks and hugz
    AL S
  • Al, I am so happy you are feeling better! There's excellant!!! Just like Ess said, don't ever feel like you need to apologize for needing to vent about anything!!!
    Pain, is anything that hurts, mentally or physically!!! Here's to getting better and stronger! Your in my prayers, Brenda C.
  • I have had severe depression for a very long time, I do know how it feels. I have to tell you one very IMPORTANT thing about this horrible disease. Get out!!!!!!!! Get out of your house, go outside, talk to someone, do not stay in bed. It gets worse. I have to fight it every single day when I go through my fight. I call it a fight because it is.

I am here if you want to talk, but I also don't just have depression. I have bipolar disorder, when I get depressed, I get severe. I have not been feeling very great from the surgery, but I take it a day at a time. Crying does help, holding it in makes it worse. I know how it feels my friend, like I say, "this shall pass". >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Hi Heidi,

I know it's a fight, I have stayed in bed most of the last two years or longer. I have PTSD, generalized anxiety disorder, major depressive disorder, with panic attacks. This was caused from my military service and made worse by work with the police department. Enter my back problems, back surgeries, and chronic pain. What we thought was under medical control to some degree went down hill.

I totally agree it is a fight for your life, since changing my medication fron Luvox to Cymbalta I have started to do better, get out of the house some and out of bed. I thought I was done for, literally. The fight isn't over, but I have a better weapon now. I may take you up on talking sometime.

Thanks for your honesty in sharing, this is really a tough fight.

Thank you

AL S
  • Hi all,
    I am still on Cymbalta 60 mgs a day but I requested my doctor to cut it back to 30mgs a day for now at least.

My mental state is still better, having some unusal thoughts and dreams. More worrysome I have been sweating a great deal the last few days, feeling hot, cold, hot, cold. Today it got worse and more intense. I felt very uncomfortable and the nerves right under my skin hurt all over. It really worked me up and I called my wife at work and the on call doctor. The doctor on call was useless, just said if I was suicidal to come in or she could have the Sheriff come pick me up, wow terrific!! She then said they were really backed up at the ER, but she couldn't tell me anything unless I was seen.

I concluded after taking klonopin, calming down and feeling better that it may be Luvox withdrawels since I took my last dose on Sunday night, or side effect of The Cymbalta which I hope is not the case.

I got kind of angry and I've decided that I wanted to take the lowest amount of Cymbalta which would be 30mgs and if possible I will try to slowly cut back as much as reasonable on these pain meds. I have had a very poor quality of life for almost 3 years and I'm pretty sure all these meds at higher levels has a lot to do with it.

As I said I faxed my Cymbalta doc and explained what was up and my desire to go back to the 30mg dose, I hope she won't frown upon it but I can be really med sensitive and with some meds a little goes a long way.

I would be interested if anyone has knowledge about the Luvox theory. I was on 200mgs a day for 10 years or more.

Thanks again to all

AL S