Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4-S1 Fuison update any help

jbigdan1jjbigdan1 Posts: 16
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I seen the DR. On the 3rd, He said every thing is looking good. Then I ask him about my left foot and both thighs going numb. He said he is not worried about the numbness as long as the pain is gone. Im real worried when I stand in one spot for more then five minutes thats when every thing goes numb and if The DR. told me that that would all go away after the surgery. Im at a loss what should I do. Thanks. Dan

• That doesn't go away 2 minutes after surgery. Certain types of pain stop right away or darned close. Usually with a couple of weeks.

Nerve pain, numbness (pinched nerves) etc. Depending on how long the nerve is pinched, how hard it was pinched, and which nerves. It might wake up in a week, month, year, or more, or never. There is no set time.

The numbness in the base of my foot took over a year to go away. That was with lots of PT and exercise. What have you done to help the situation?
  • Thanks I don't know alot about nerves or how they work, I just know that I have looked up what nerve makes your thighs go numb and it's L3 every thing was done below L3 so I don't know. I did start PT. this week so I have 12 more to do I hope that helps. Again Thanks. Dan
  • I had left foot numbness and severe leg pain before surgery. After surgery my numbness was completly gone and so was the pain. I went home the next day and was trying to turn in the bed and numbness returned. I was so scared I did something to the fusion. I called the MD the next day, and this was the response I got. Since the leg pain was gone and there was some numbness that he wasn't too concerned. He said that it will take longer for the nerve to heal. He told me how many millimeters a day a nerve heals and it is a very slow process. In my case I have been dealing with a herniated disc with impingement for almost 5 years prior to surgery. He felt that once the swelling got better that it would improve. I am going on 2 1/2 weeks post op and it is improving slowly but I don't notice it as much as I did previously.