Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical problems causing high blood pressure ????

jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical

I was wondering if anyone has been told that their high blood pressure is being caused by neck problems. I haven't been told that, but have read that it is possible.

I haven't had high blood pressure in the past, but have now been told that it is high (160/92) Had it rechecked two weeks later, and it is still high - about the same. Will have another test in 2 weeks and if it is still the same, they will give me a 24 hour monitor.

I now wonder if it could be caused by my neck problems; particularly the compression on my cord.

How do they find out what is causing high blood pressure? Perhaps they can't tell what is causing it.

It is amazing that 3 years ago my health was fine and I would only visit the doctor about once every three years, but since my spinal problems were diagnosed, I have had all sort of health issues.

advertisement

Comments

• Hi Jellyhall. High blood pressure can be caused by so many things. I first was diagnosed when I was about 32. Heredity, medications, pain, weight, fitness level are just a few things that can contribute to blood pressure. Nothing is easy.

Take care.
    KarenD
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Howdy Jelly,

I've always had low blood pressure, but once my pain went to the chronic side of the house, the BP ever so slowly started creeping up. By the time I was 44, I was on blood pressure medications!

After a thorough cardio check up (nuclear, stress, echo EKG etc.) my Cardiologist advised me that most of my blood pressure issues are thanks to chronic pain. He said BP is one of the first physiological changes we have when pain is constant.... That's what I was told, and yes the BP is still sneaking up little by little - my medications change yearly now.

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.

• Brenda, do you remember how high your blood pressure got before they put you on medication?

I suppose I had better mention it at my appointment with the Neurosurgeon and Pain Consultant on Tuesday.

I will be thinking of you on Tuesday too. Do you have a time for surgery yet? I wonder what the time difference between us is. How many hours behind GMT are you? If I know the time, I'll be saying prayers for you and your hubby while you are in surgery. :-)

Gentle hugs and sending lots of peace and calm for your couple of days before surgery.

>:D< >:D< >:D<

You know that there are lots of caring friends here who are rooting for and praying for you Brenda. Think of us as your cheering team.

<:P =D> <:P =D> <:P =D>

• Hey Jelly. Sorry to hear about the high BP. It can often be caused by pain as well as lots of other things.

One thing to consider is talking to your doctor about herbal medications that can help lower your BP. My hubby takes hawthorn extract and fish oil and his BP has been in good shape since he started taking them a couple of years ago. As an aside, he also takes cherry extract for his gout and hasn't had a flare in three years.

That might be a good starting point before getting on more pharmacuticals. I always like to try herbals before having to take a prescription.

Cath
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,301
    There is renal or portal hypertension that they could tell the origin is kidney involvement...

Most hypertension is referred to as "essential" hypertension which means essentially we don't know what the exact cause is.

Certainly pain can cause your blood pressure to be elevated.

Compression of the cord? .... I essentially can't answer that one really .... not that I've heard of.

But like you.... I didn't have HBP until I started having neck problems so there is at least a cause-ual relationship.

HBP most typically is related to the aging process build up of atherosclerosis in the arteries and arteriolosclerosis. (plaque build up and hardening of the arteries).

Can lead towards senile dementia ... which I believe I have today.

or something like that ....

d

• I also prefer to use anything other than pharmacutical medication (and surgery too!).

Thanks for the information about what your hubby finds helps him. I will make a note of it, and once they have finished monitoring my blood pressure, if it stays high, I will talk to them about other ways to get it down.

Before my surgery, I was trying anything and everything to avoid having surgery. My chiropractor gave me all sorts of advice of things to try. I really believe that they were helpful. It was just that the architecture of my spine had become an issue and it needed decompressing, pulling back into alignment and then fusing.

I also use all sorts of things to help with pain, so that minimises how frequently I have to resort to pain meds.

It sounds like having high blood pressure could be a contraindication to taking NSAIDs. That will be a shame as I find Ibuprofen to generallly be pretty efficient at lessening my pain. Some of the other meds (even stronger ones) just don't seem to touch it.

• I'm with you there Metalneck!

I think my hubby would agree that, I too, have senile dementia!!

I'll blame it on the high blood pressure!

• Just wanted to stop by and wish Brenda the very best for Tuesday!

Hi to all of the rest of you senile or not!

Only kidding, of course.

Gracie
  • Howdy Jelly,

If I remember right I was in the neighborhood of 135/85 - ish.. Also too my heart rate (resting) was sitting high 80's, bottom 90's. I was started on a very low dose of Toporol (25mg a day). I've since switched to Atenolol and am now up to 150mg a day plus Hydrochlorothiazide (water pill to reduce volume).

Due to the length of time in the OR, I won't have a show time until tomorrow afternoon. Also too they have to set the OR up to be Latex free as well. This time of year I am 5 hours behind on GMT (EST here).

I'll take you all as my cheering committee any day!! *HUGZ* back to ya!! :)

Brenda
  • Thanks very much, appreciate!! :)

Brenda
  • Jelly,

I have read that a normal BP is 120/80

140/90 or higher is considered hypertension.

90/60 or lower is considered too low.

That is just what I have been told.

Mention your feelings to a doctor and see what he says.

I take the lowest dose of antenolol at 25 mg. I have a resting pulse of 100 or higher. It does a good job for me. I also take a low dose BP pill.

Many things can raise your BP. My last epidural my BP was off the charts for awhile. Nerves and the steroids I guess.
  • so it sounds like my blood pressure at 160/92 is quite high. I have been told by someone that it is high, and by someone else that it isn't very high, so I didn't know. These were not medical people. I will have it checked again in a week, and from there, if necessary I will wear a 24 hour monitor.

I have had it high before when I had an attack of gall stones and was in bad pain. It was checked after that and was absolutely fine, so this is a recent thing.

My job is rather stressful at the moment, so it could be that.
    I don't feel that my pain is high enough to put the blood pressure up.

I have read that the high levels of the cervical spine especially, can affect the autonomic nerves which control the heart, breathing, blood pressure, digestion etc. My spine compression is worst at C3/4, so that is fairly high up.

I don't know how they can tell what is causing high blood pressure.

I will be thinking of and praying for you tomorrow then Brenda. I will pray for wisdom for the surgeon too. Hoping that this time will be the one to get you into the best position possible for your future life. You are well prepared and ready emotionally (as much as you can be!).

We will all be waiting here and watching to see how you get on. Then as you recover, once you are able to come back and visit us, we will support you through and cheer you on.

Looking forward to chatting with you again, my friend.
    >:D< >:D< >:D<

• It might be good to monitor it. I take mine at least twice a day at my med times. MY BP has been fluctuating quite a bit since my neck took a turn for the worse again. The stress of worrying doesn't usually help either.
  • Your blood pressure of 160/92 is considered high if it's that high at all times as it's causing your heart and arteries to work harder so my Dr. told me and then it will need to be controlled with medication. I had a blood pressure flare 2 years ago and took Diovan for high B/P then it went too low so I had to stop the meds and I'm still monitoring my B/P with the free machine the drug company sent me.

I had a change in diet as well and only eat chicken and fish and no added salt and no fried food, well occasionally..

It seemed that all these issues happened to me when I got my back issues also and know it can be age related also. I hope your B/P gets under control and not sure of the cause. Keep us posted. Hugs Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Howdy Jelly,

Thanks much for thoughts and prayers for tomorrow. I should know in a couple of hours what time to be there. :) Whew!! Almost time...(G)

C3/4 is my only good level in my neck! I know for me, it is just daily pain that builds up adding to mine. Before I went chronic, my BP pretty well stayed under 120/65, so mine for sure creeped up. I think the bottom number is the more critical one, and anything over 90 is not good.

I think medically certain things "are deemed" causes of things, while other get labeled idiopathic. I know with me, I can tie the two together pretty easily. Please let us know how it goes on your end. *HUG*

Brenda

• for your comments and support.

My diet is pretty good. I hardly use salt in cooking and not on my plate, don't eat fried food and only have red meat once a week.

High blood pressure does run in my family, so perhaps it is genetic. I feel like I am too young to start all of that, but I am older than several on here who have needed medication for high BP. (56)

I have an appointment next week on Wednesday, so I will see if it is still up then.

• Just a note.......

I have a good diet regimen for the most part, too.

My BP was doing much better when I was able to exercise more. I'm sure you already know this.

Good luck with all this.
    Let us know what your doctor thinks.

Gracie
  • Just a note.......

My BP was doing much better when I was able to exercise more. I'm sure you already know this.

Good luck with all this.

Gracie
  • Just a note.......

Good luck with all this.

Gracie
  • Just a note.......

Good luck with all this.

Gracie
  • 56 too young. (G) Lol!!! Sorry, being 49 and on BP meds for like 4 or 5 years, gotta chuckle with ya woman!!!

I look at it this way, they call it the "silent killer", ...well the little killer was caught and now controlled. Doesn't get any better than that - right? *wink*

Ps... The pills are little. (G)

Brenda

• Well my blood pressure is still up, so they will have me wear a 24 blood pressure monitor in a couple of weeks (waiting list for it here in the UK).
    I am also going to have various blood tests and an ECG.

• Sorry to hear that it is still up there Jelly.

Eat your banannas, potatoes and broccoli. They all help to lower your BP a tad. I eat a bananna every morning for breakfast. Certainly can't hurt.

Gracie

• I hadn't heard about foods to lower blood pressure.

I bought a couple of bananas today so will be able to have those, and we already have broccoli regularly. I increase how often we eat potatoes.

I'll try anything to help myself. :-)
  • Beans and spinach, too. For dessert have an ounce of Dark Chocolate you can't go wrong with that.

See your doctor of course for help with exercise, medications if need be and other ways to lower your BP.

Okay, Nanny? Stay healthy so you can be around for new grandbabies. :)

Light and Love,
    Gracie

• I like the sound of that!
    =P~

• Hi All:

My first post here, and I have had this exact issue. I used to have low BP 90/60 ish (runner), then I started making the cervical rounds of GP's, neurologists, physiatrists, etc in 2000. I was told my 140/90 had to be the "white coat syndrome", I was depressed, I was upset, whatever the opinion du jour was that day. Finally my GP decided I needed BP meds. I had C5/6 ACDF in 07. It was okay for about 18 months, but then with weather changes or unknown reasons (sleep position, looking up too long, etc.) the pain got progressively worst until now it's happening twice a week at times, but ALWAYS the day before a storm. I had a standard MRI in 08, and it was normal. I was getting trigger point injections in the spasms that 2 docs said they were almost afraid to do, because it was so tight, they feared breaking the needles. I had a surface EMG that the doctor said showed more activity that he'd seen in his 35 years. A neuro finally said I might benefit from an upright MRI if I could find one, as it seemed to be a compression issue. But no one had really given me any idea what was happening. My new GP of the past 2 years noticed it was pain related and took me off BP meds, but I have HCTZ to use when it goes up. I went to the ER last month with a BP of 191/117 (and my typical severe shoulder spasms, neck pain up behind my ear and in front of my eye, vomiting, all that fun stuff). By this time, I was afraid to even suggest weather played a part in my pain "episodes"(I've seen a bazillion eye rolls already, thanks), but was pleasantly surprised that the ER doc (an osteopath) told ME they now think this is much more common than they originally thought, and was likely due to the barometric pressure change. He didn't know I have a medical background, so tried layman's terms that don't really work-hyperactive spine? He knew that soaking in water relieved my issues, etc. So, he gave me an anti nausea pill, some vicoden and diazepam (I'd not had this before). I left with a BP of 140/93. The next day, I felt better than I had in a long time without the spasms, etc. I hate taking pills, and had previously been told that these pain episodes were from me NOT taking enough Ultram, etc? So, this regime is saved for when I feel the "episodes" arriving. I was finally able to have one of the upright MRI's this month, and it shows a real mess. One of my screws from the first fusion is in scar tissue near my windpipe, and all of the discs from C2-C7 are broadly protruding with the exception of the one that was supposed to fuse (I don't suppose so, since there shouldn't be a disc there?), and 3 are in the CSF space or mildly indenting the thecal sac. So, I'm scheduled for C7-T1 epidural injection next month, to be followed by surgery if that doesn't help. Oh, and when I'm not in pain? My BP was 122/80 today (and every other "good day" in the past months)..hmmm...Under these circumstances, I'm concerned about the injections, since steroids raise your BP.

Sorry to ramble, but I'd love to read the literature on what this is!

Hope everyone is feeling good today!

Farmgirl
  • You I am 48 yrs,I am taking medication for bp since 46 yrs.But I also was diagnosed wirh Escoliosis and Spondyolisis.I also will like to know if this really is the cause of my blood pressure.Which in some cases is not that high.Today was 140/86.But also do exercise eat healthy food and don't drink and don't smoke.So maybe escoiliosis maight the cause
  • Since my mid 40th i have hb pressure. But i also get sudden lows that had caused me to faint or if not i get extreme high blood pressure. I have done many diff test. And no one had an explanation why my hbp is always suddenly going so high as 202/ 121 or 198/ 111 but i also have sudden BP as low as 80/67. I was told in the past that i also suffer from panic attacks. I tried many medication. Now i am in Houston and my primery doctor send me an mri of cervical c2,3,4,5,6 an also thoracic t2, t3 plus lumbar are and he send me to a ct scam. He told me that it could be possible that my hbp could be due to the
    to severe damage on my cervical could be the cause of my hbp. This was the 1st time i heard about this. Plus he send me a ct scam on my adrenalin glands. My MRI came up with severe damage on my c3 c4 c5 c6. I have to add that i had fusion surgery performed in 1999. In 2012 when i experience sever spasms on my body but specially legs it was moderate but that should do a surgery again to include c2 on the fusion. But now the MRI results shows it is severe damage. My new doctor my told me that cervical issues of compression and stenosis could be the reason of my sudden high blood pressure. Or may be my adrenal glands are hyper working or have a cyst there. Both information are new to me. After seeing many many doctors taken many medications and many hopitalization due to extreme High blood pressure no one ever told me that either one could be the cause. My primary doctor explained to me that this issues could be the cause of my ups n downs of my blood pressure. I was told that a new fusion most be done due to the severity of the damage on my cervical spine. Has anyone being told that? And has anyone in my situation had the fusion surgery and the HBP has stabilize? I want to add that i also have big time problem walking. I really will like to know if someone had the surgery and if now they are feeling better with their HBP and walking..
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 4,667
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!

moderator, ~~savage

advertisement