Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone else have trouble with the Mallinkrodt Fent. patch??

TneitzelTTneitzel Posts: 39
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:57 AM in Pain Medications
Okay so I had two back surgeries, the last one being May 22 of this year. Since then I have tried just about every single pain medicine there is out there including break through meds and long lasting(controlled release) meds. About six weeks ago my doctor thought it would be a good idea to switch me to the Fentanyl patch. First, like in most cases, he started me on the 25mcg patch. It helped alot compared to oxy contin and MS contin, but it seemed like after a week or so my body got used to it and it began to loose its potency after the second day. My doc switched me to 37mcg an hour and the same thing happened. Now I am leveled off at 50 mcg an hour which has been working pretty good. The only problem with these patches that I have expirienced was from the Mallinkrodt brand. Before taking this I had used the Watson and Durugesic gel style, and the Sandoz and Mylan carrier styles with no problems at all as far as side effects. When I was on the Malli's I got a horrible break out of huge zit (almost sist like) bumps on my back. Along with that I had headaches and fatigue feeling starting when I woke up for a few hours and some days, all day long. It was horrible, and the worst part about it was they didn't even help me with my pain! They are alot different than the other carrier style patches in appearance too, they are a lot thicker and cloudier in color, the only good thing I can say about them is they stuck better than some brands. Has anyone out there had similar experiences with this nasty brand of patch??
advertisement

Comments

• MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,605
    The efficacy of the patches varies GREATLY by manufacturer, dosage, and type (gel reservoir or adhesive matrix).

I have had the best relief from the Sandoz brand which is suposed to be made in the same plant as the Duragesic brand by J&J.

All of them seem to have "two day syndrome".

Regards,

d
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)
    My Story  - Click below
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/discussion/44804/pain/neck-pain-cervical/long-and-winding-road
    I am not a doctor nor have I ever played one on TV.  Therefore any comments made are based on my experience.
  • Hardest thing is to remove the stupid patch from the plastic they have it stuck in. Throwing away the paper off it is like when you rub a baloon on your hair and you cant get rid of it, I keep trying to throw the paper away shaking my hand above the garbage can and it keeps coming back sticking to my finger,

Last one finaly landed on the dog by the time i shaken it loose, Dog has no pain now, i think he likes it, i think he now is an addict and i need to get him intervention, Git- ir- done
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I use Watson brand and they don't stick well for me. I buy 4.5 x 4 tegaderm clear patches. They are costly though. If you are interested send me a PM and I will give you the info for ebay seller where I buy 50 of them at a time for about 35.00.
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • metalneck, I have also had best relief from the Sansoz...
  • I use sandoz. It is similar to Duragesic and it works the best out of all I have been on. I buy the 4 x 6 tegaderm clear patches and cut them in half and put over patch. Never have problem then. I get them off ebay. I bought 200 for 100 dollars and so they will last a long time. The gel patches have always worked better for me. Good Luck
  • My Dr. recently put me on Fentanyl 75mg patch one every three days. All I can say is these are a godsend. I had been to pain management for 2 years and all they did was switch me from med to med every two months. I swear I never slept. I finally quit Pain Management and went back to my PCP who I have known for fifteen years. I was taking 6 to 8 vicodin 10/325's a day plus Tramadol 50 mg 4xday. I had a very high tolerance to these and could not sleep more than 3 to four hours per day. I have been on the fentanyl patch for 3 weeks and have actually slept like a baby some nights. These work great for me, only problem is sometimes they dont last 3 days, but I'll take it over having to take all those pills. I also use the tegaderm patches and also put another cloth waterproof patch over that. I wear them on my upper chest and they typically stay stuck pretty well. Hope everyone is doing well!! Take Care!!
  • One question I have, probably stupid, but how do you change brands of patches? Do you ask your pharmacist? Or ask your doctor to write for a specific brand? Thanks
  • you can specifically ask pharmasist for a certain brand. My pharmacy orders them in for me each month so they are on hand. Good Luck
  • Same here My phar knows I like my watson brand so she keeps me in mind when ordering :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Yes, when it comes to brands its totally up to the pharmacy. Unfortunenatly for me, I live a smaller town (twenty thousand) at of the five Pharmacies in town I always have to wait at least a day for them to order my patches, and when they do they can only either one or two brands. It can be very frustrating at times. Does anyone know if the Sandoz 50 mcg patches are gel style?
  • they all are..Have you pain Dr give you your patch script a week early, and that it can be despensed on such a day, then they can have them for you. I live IN town of 3000 with 2 pharmacies and they will
  • MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,605
    Sandoz are now adhesive matrix .... the last Watson I got were still gel packs.

Sandoz are the best in my experience.

Dave
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)
    My Story  - Click below
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/discussion/44804/pain/neck-pain-cervical/long-and-winding-road
    I am not a doctor nor have I ever played one on TV.  Therefore any comments made are based on my experience.
  • My watson are gel and I hope they stay that way :)
advertisement