Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

interesting info on spinal surgery

StarshineSStarshine Posts: 68
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

Please google : "Surgeons implant own devices" and you can read an interesting article in the leading business newspaper. I believe it is against forum rules (names etc..) This newspaper frequently has articles concerning spinal surgery, mostly addressing the financial aspects. If you have any trouble finding it u can pm me for the link.

Would be interesting to see what y'all think.

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,368
    WOW! Oh those darn doctors !!

Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)

• Starshine,

This article is in quite a few news publications actually! I know for me, I am not surprised in the least. Now the other part, ..."What" idiot would have surgery with a surgeon whose been sued 18 times in 9 years? Are you kidding me? Wow!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I read it today also. The ethical implications of doctors having ownership interests in manufacturing hardware that they use in fusions is an issue the AMA or FDA will have to attack. I asked my husband what he thought because I think that if a doctor develops a product superior to what is already in the marketplace, what's the problem? Husband said, then doctor should sell the product to a company and divest himself of further ownership interest. That makes sense to me. What's your take?
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,368
    the increasing frequency of hardware breakage that we seem to be hearing more about?

Do the doctors get their devices FDA approved like the other manufacturers have to do?

I think my surgeons hands are full with having to perform surgery ... I wouldn't want him in his spare time developing hardware anymore than I'd want him doing my taxes!

Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)

• I feel that having a doctor develop a new tool, implantable piece of hardware or hardware system is great. It's what we need, a step forward. Without that our procedures would stagnate. There's got to be a way to compromise. A way to allow doctors to "think out of the box" and do development without the risk of being labeled a cheat or a thief. Positive incentive programs are not unique and are incorporated into many places of business. That's what drives or motivates employees to excel.

Now granted there's a big difference between a doctor and an account executive, but don't both need to have positive motivation? Don't many if not most incentive programs center around financial rewards?

If someone develops a new or modified piece of hardware, wouldn't you be suspicious if they chose not to use it? If they felt that they had developed something superior to other pieces on the market and then never used them in their cases, to me that sends a frightening message.

Of course if they go overboard and find cases just for the sake of using their new implant or hardware whether it be to turn a profit or simply to stroke their ego ... well that's where someone needs to intervene.

There should be a way to strike a balance allowing for new developments in surgical hardware and being a partner in the company created to market them. (In a perfect world)

Interesting read.

• The medical co-director of this site is quoted in this article and i am sure he is quite successful using his own devices. Nothing wrong with that as long as appropriate clinical trials are performed before its use and he continues to be successful using it.

This article is merely a warning to all considering spinal surgery to investigate, investigate, investigate before deciding. I agree with Brenda, who would use a spinal doc who had four times as many law suites against him then the average spinal doc.!
  • He knew all about it because I brought a copy of it to him when I saw him on Monday. As it turns out, he was one of the developers of BMP and he used it on me during surgery. The guy is brilliant. Stanford undergrad, Stanford Med school, 66 page resume with articles and books he has published and lectures throughout the world. He has patents on products he has developed and then sold out prior to it going mass market. I picked the gem!!!

BTW, he says I am doing great 11 weeks post-op and gave me his cell phone if I ever need him. Hugged and kissed me b4 and after visit!