Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

series of three?

robynrrobyn Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Spinal Injections
so i have read that three injections is kinda the norm,but with no real basis in medicine for why. i am scheduled for my second this coming tuesday. im not sure if the first provided relief or if it was the natural healing process. i am coming up on 2 months of narcotic pain killers just so that walking doesnt feel like i have a bloody stump for a foot. i have obviously also been out of work. surgery has been recommended but the surgeon wants to wait for 3 injections. i have a 3cm extrusion at l5s1, and i find it hard to believe that even with reduced inflammation i will have enough relief to return to work any time soon. can i refuse an injection and ask for the surgery?

• I'm sure you can ask, but it may be required by your insurance to get these three injections before they'll approve paying for your surgery.

I had a lot going on at my L4/5 level - stenosis, facet problems, spondylolisthesis and a bulging disc. The ESI helped with the disc problems, but the other issues were too severe for anything but surgery.

So this may be an insurance issue or may be that your doctor is trying everything he can before putting you under the knife. We all want to do anything we can before surgery because that is the real painful part of it all.

Good luck and I hope the series works for you and if not, that you have a good surgeon and successful outcome.

Just my 2 cents worth.

• I do agree with Cath111 I had to go with all three for insurance Co to pay for surgery

• oh, i hadn't even considered insurance requirements. damn them! well, who knows? maybe it will be awesome and i wont need the surgery. im trying to be optimistic...i have a lot of free time to be optimistic while i sit on my couch all day... i also seem to have honed my sarcasm skills;) thanks for your input, i appreciate honest answers from real people. best wishes