Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Foot pain

bedawgsbbedawgs Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Ok its been awhile,I need some input.Since my PLIF my 9 months ago my back pain has never stop,the back pain is dull and achey,and Im curious if hardware can cause this,and now my right foot is hurting where I cant walk and my butt hurts but it doesnt go down my leg.Could my foot be from a nerve being pressed or has anyone had similar issues?

• Hi,

I had back ache develop about 6 months after my PLIF. But I had a deep infection on the hardware and my screws were loose. My hardware was taken out 7 weeks ago. I also had/have some foot pain but that is mostly at night. I still have the back ache. Maybe a bit less than before but then I am hardly doing anything at the moment.
    So I don't know if your hardware is causing the pain - have you spoken to your doc? I think we are all different and it is hard to tell what causes the pain for each of us.
    Good luck.
  • Yes, foot pain can be caused by nerve compression. What level was your surgery done? I think L5 and L4 nerve root compression can both result in foot pain.

But, then again, it could be something different. I'd bring it up to the doctor.

I have foot pain resulting from DDD at L5-S1, all the way to my 4th toe, so nerve compression is a possibility.
  • My fusion is L5-S1,and ive metioned it to my doc and its like it pisses him off and he says its just failed back surgrey.My back pain is worse now than before fusion.
  • I had a L5-S1 PLIF last December and have had the same dull achey back pain (which I didn't have before) it is getting better, but slowly.

But the more serious concern was about 5 months after the surgery when I developed a drop foot and severe pain in my foot (HORRIBLE in my big toe)

Luckily my surgeon said "I will find out what is wrong - you will not be left hanging in pain" and ordered alot of imaging which showed the my L5 nerve was again impinged. He had told us that would be possible since he wasn't able to make the large space he had wanted to do during the fusion.

In July I had a nerve root decompression and am again on the mend. The nerve pain continues and we are now trying Lyrica - but the pressure pain is gone again.

I wish you lucky bedawgs - I remember what a fast recovery you seemed to have at the time and am sorry it didn't continue.
  • Yea it was going perfect and I fused really good,but boy I mean its gotten bad,I just want answers and it seems hard to get them,but I hope the CT scan will show that Workers comp hasnt approved and its been ordered 2 months ago.