Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Do things happen for a reason?

brenda cannonbbrenda cannon Posts: 150
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello, everyone, I had my big 60, yesterday!!! Last week ins. Okeyed fusion! Pre-op testing last week, appointment with surgeon and hospital this Thursday, and surgery, Oct.17. Everything is on track for fusion!!!
Nope, Houston, we have a problem! GP's nurse called, my clearance for surgery isn't happening! Blood work, bad anemic, and GP, want's to talk!!!
So instead of surgery, I'll be having more test's!!!
It's crazy, I'm not freaking out!!! Since last June, I've been dealing with surgeons and insurance. Maybe, at this point in my life, for whatever reason, I'm not ment to have a fusion, at least, not yet!!! Time will tell, but finally, I'm at peace. I really believe, things happen for a reason. One thing about my spine surgery, it isn't like surgery is needed to save my life.
I just thought I'd share my feeling's on why sometimes things just happen for reasons we never know why!!! Brenda C.
advertisement

Comments

• Happy birthday. How did the discogram go? Have you had it finaly? Sorry but i not read much after you was waiting for the discogram, Good luck with tests. Maybe they will keep the surgery date. They might just need to clear things up 1 st,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Like Alex said, don't rule out surgery yet. See what your GP has to say, and too what if anything can be done to get back on track. What's that saying, "not until the fat lady sings!" And yeah, I am pretty sure things happen for a reason - at least that's been my experience.

Happy birthday woman!!!! *HUGZ*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I hope your Dr. will be seeing you soon to talk about this anemia and treatment. Do you know what your hemoglobin number is? Or your ferritin level(iron stores)

I have had anemia in my past and not able to ever donate blood again and that's how I found I was anemic again going to donate blood at College and found I was very anemic and they said I should be receiving blood instead! But I didn't and still I have low ferritin levels. I eat spinach everyday but had to take a iron supplement. So in that case getting the test right before donating blood was a blessing in disguise for me.

I hope everything's alright when you see your Dr. Praying for you. Charry

DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks for the B-day wishes! 60, wouldn't be bad, if I didn't feel 90!!! lol
    Alex, I had my discogram, Sept.7. It was positive. L5S1. I knew it was or was pretty sure, cause, it hurt soooooo bad!!! That pain, was a 10+, for several days!!!
    Worse than my first!!!
    Brenda, the lady ain't stopped singin, but, she's resting!!!
    Charry, I didn't ask my blood count, I think because she mentioned some other test's came back low and abnormal. I was not prepared for that call. It shouldn't have, last month when I saw my GP, I had lost 23 lbs. He wasn't happy with that ( he said,"you need to gain weight not lose"!!!) I might just be run down. I can't seem to find my appetite. I think it's been stressing about doctors and insurance!!!
    Anyway, it's ok, the surgery wasn't needed to save my life!!! Lol
    I'll get myself healthier! I'm hope that's all that is going on!!! Take care, Brenda C.
  • Brenda, first, happy birthday!! And yes, I truly believe that things happen for a reason, although we might not know what that reason is, nor ever know. I'm glad that you're finally at peace with it, if it's meant to be, it will be. Like you said, it's not a life or death situation, I'm hoping that means it's not an issue of permanent damage either? In any case, take it easy, and hopefully you will be able to get in to see your doctor quickly and all this will get sorted out once and for all. Take care of yourself!
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Brenda:

My situation was similar. I had gone years with the chronic lumbar pain and was advised about surgery on two previous occasions. I deferred it as long as I could. Then when I was 57 I went back to an ortho surgeon for another consult. He said two level fusion - a major surgery.

I had not had a physical exam in over 13 years because I was (I thought) healthy and physically fit, but the statement about major surgery convinced me to get a "systems" check. Long story short, that routine exam determined that I was positive for prostate cancer. The doctor said that prostate cancer was a life issue while the lumbar fusion was a quality of life issue, so I was forced to pursue the prostate cancer.

Had it removed (along with some of the cabilities that it provided) in June 2009, but not without some post surgery complications, so for about 1 year I focused solely on PC recovery. My back was still hurting though.

In December 2010 I could take no more. In January 2011 I submitted to a two level fusion. Recovery is verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry slow, but I know that I am cancer free.

Had I not pursued a surgical solution for my back pain in 2009 I would be dead from prostate cancer by now.

So yes, there's always a reason for everything. As mortals we just don't have the "clearance" sometimes to be privileged to that reason.

My advice - be thankful for the medical detection; address that situation; and then pursue, with diligence, your back surgery.
  • Hey Kelly, how are you doing? Thank you for the B-day wishes!
    Kelly, Jim, one day at a time. Ii's been so long since I thought about anything pertaining to my health except for my spine! The spine issue's, have zapped me. So it makes sinse, my body is screaming at me. I think I'm guilty of tunnel vision!!!
    I've lost sight of taking care of the rest of my body!
    Wow, you'd think at 60, I'd be wiser & smarter!!! Brenda C.
  • I do believe things happen for a reason. Sometimes it is that little voice that tells you that just maybe you can do this on your own. >:D< >:D<
advertisement