Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Did anyone have ZERO-P PEEK for ACDF ??

taurustwnttaurustwn Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical

I have degenerative disc disease with bulging annulus fibrosis and bilateral uncovertebral joint hypertrophy, which results in spinal stenosis at C5-C6. I have been bearing the pain for 5 years and have tried most of non-invasive methods (pain meds, injections, physical therapy, acupuncture, massage, chiropractors) but had no relief. At this point, I am considering surgery. I have seen 3 orthopedic surgeons so far and they all suggested ACDF.

I have done quite a bit of researches regarding this surgery after learning ACDF from the surgeons. I realized that the fusion part of the procedure can vary from surgeon to surgeon. One surgeon’s approach is to use the Zero-P PEEK (by Synthes) for cervical interbody fusion. The surgeon showed me the device, which consists of a plate and a spacer with four screws. I was told that the Zero-P implant is contained within the excised disc space, and unlike anterior cervical plates, it does not protrude past the anterior wall of the vertebral body as do anterior cervical plates. As a result, it is beneficial in reducing soft-tissue irritation and difficulty in swallowing after operation. Besides, Zero-P prevents the risk of adjacent level discs complications in the future because the device remains as far as possible from the adjacent level.

It all sounded good except that I am not sure if the advantages of using Zero-P PEEK are as it claimed. I tried to find more info on it but don’t seem to get much. If anyone had experience/comment on using Zero-P PEEK for cervical fusion, I would appreciate it if you could share with me.

Thanks !

• I didn't know the name of it, but it sounds just like my surgeon explained prior to my surgery. He had an example on his desk to show me. I had a multi-level ACDF (I never had spinal surgery before). He and his staff thoroughly described what to expect. I had difficulty in swallowing (but I did have 4 levels). I can still feel something when I swallow but not as much over time.

Good luck!
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Thanks so much for sharing your experience. Hope you are recovering well :-) Do you mind letting me know if you used autograft or allograft bone? My surgeon suggested autograft bone for a better chance of fusion but he also said it was up for me to decide if I wanted to use allograft. I understand the pros and cons of using autograft vs. allograft bone. I read some article via internet, saying that allograft yields nearly equivalent fusion rates as autograft bone in one-level spinal fusions (which is my case). I also read that the cage portion of this device is made of PEEK, which is hydrophobic and will never bond to bone. Therefore, to achieve a solid fusion, one has to select a filler that has a high likelihood of fusing. I wonder if that's the reason he was promoting autograft to me. Personally I would prefer having one incision/recovery than two if the fusion rates of using autograft and allograft are indeed very similar for one-level ACDF.

Thanks again !