Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Questions about ALIF

I have struggled with lower back pain for the past year. Recently I had a discogram. It showed that I have a level 4 tear on my L4/L5. The Dr. wants to do surgery. A fusion. I have seen two differnet surgeons. One wants to go in from the front, the other from the back. Both Dr.'s have given me only a fifty-fifty chance of feeling better. I really do think I want to have the surgery. I have to choose surgery or live with the pain. I can no longer live like this. I have five young children to take care of. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with the ALIF surgery on their L4/L5?

• I have had successful fusions and am fused from L1 to S1 (3 different fusions). I have had 360, anterior and posterior. My most recent was thru my tummy again (they should have put in a zipper!!). My surgeon says that is easier to recover from since they have to do thru all the big muscles of the back.

Either way you do it it is a long recovery and you must pay attention to your doctor's orders of no lifing, twisting, bending. I went back to work after 3 weeks but everyone is different. It takes a year to really recover.

My pain was relieved and I am glad I had them done. Sometimes the recovery seems so slow you want to give up but then all of a sudden you make progress.

Walking is very good, short distances at first several times a day. I had a safety bar put in my tub/shower and also used a plastic stool to sit on. I found a long handled shoe horn very handy. I wore clogs mostly but it was handy putting on my (former) running shoes. Also a grabber.

You will want lose fitting elastic waistband pants. Forget about socks, shaving your legs, painting your toenails.

Get your house organized so that things you use everyday are handy and you don't have to bend for low cupboards or drawers.

Hope this has been helpful. Good luck and keep us posted.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • I had the PLIF first, and a minamlly invasive ALIF, and the ALIF,(minamally invasive) was wayyyyy easier. I had the first surgery and started making progress and two more discs tore at 5 months. Had the second one, bingo, at 5 months 2 more discs tore. So I am awaiting letter from surgeon after a discogram Probably another ALIF, min invasive like the 2nd one. I was almost 85 % pain free the second time. So I know that it can work..especially for torn discs. Have faith in your surgeon though, it is half the battle, It is a long recovery, but the 2nd was alot easier after first 2 weeks or so..PM me with any ?.. Good Luck!