Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF C6/7- 2wks post op, pain worse?

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone. I had c6/7 ACDF on 9/23.. At first when I went home I was just mainly experiencing incision pain, trouble swallowing, etc. I was put on percocet along with the muscle relaxer I take.

I have had to call my NS's nurse practitioner twice to get more pain meds. One was a 7 day supply, another a 5 day (which means I'm out as of today). I know I overdid it a few times early (wk 1) in recovery- but quickly realized that was a bad idea and I needed to not do certain things. I am now noticing that not only is there some muscular pain and tightness (which I'm used to) going on, but there is pain when I try to move my neck in certain ways, a different type of pain than pre op going down my right arm, and pain in my neck and head when I lift anything.. and now I'm sleeping 12 hrs/day which is completely out of the ordinary for me. Even immediately post op.

I know I'm super early in recovery- my NS isn't seeing me til 10/18.. But I feel bad about having to call again for meds. I'm being as honest as possible with them, and when I call tomorrow I'm going to list the new pain, ask if I should come in sooner, etc.. I guess my questions are:
Do you think I've done something to reinjure myself?
How long have other ppl been on narcotics?
Any info/experience/insight would be awesome.

Thanks so much!