Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pissed off

Papa57PPapa57 Posts: 28
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Recovering from Surgery
X( Post op L5/s1 went to see neurosurgeon last week with left lower leg pain and foot numbness had surg on 7/28/11. He virtually blew me off! Did the needle test in my foot and made me do a calf raise and said most of my strength is back and scripted me some Neurontin also told memo really didn't need to come back unless the pain gets worse .my low back is still sore I've tapped into my retirement account for money to pay for my insurance since I now longer have a job as RN due to being told we have no light duty positions for you I am going to lawyer up because I only had 24 hrs to fill out incident report whEn I felt I just pulled a muscle and had no idea I could hardly walk a week later because I blew my L5 I'm just getting sick of the system and people probably thinking I'm faking this whole thing if I was better i would be working so send me some posts with your experiences

• I would not worry what people think. Most know spine surgery is always complicated and not everyone has full recovery, Its not always as simple as get the surgery done and back to work i go,

Some are never able to return to work, Many dont get called back to work because of there limitations. So yes you beter have a lawyer ready because you have to look out for number 1. Nobody else will,

Once you are injured you become nothing more then a liability with most places of work place, As if the injury and surgery has not caused enough suffering, they usualy want to punish a person financialy as well!

Work related injury always becomes complicated and stressfull for many in combinarion with there surgery complications. And when dr has no answer to explain the pain after surgery then it gets even more complicated trying to explain to work comp why you still have pain and this is just the 1 st step in the batle of the patient v/s dr/ insurance

Best of luck to you, And find the best lawyer posible to protect your rights,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • No short or long term benefits at your workplace? I hope you can get WC and fill out the incident report. Same thing happened though I had a shoulder injury and filled out an incident report after the fact but had a nurse that was with me and I said something to her like I pulled my arm. If you let someone know at work you hurt your leg at the time that's a witness and will make it easier to get WC. I hope you get it. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Easier said than done..but I agree you can't worry too much about other people's thoughts. Even people closest to you may not understand and when you're dealing with people who don't love you and who want to protect purse strings..people will say or do unpredicatable things.

And docs ..well some can be good with terrible bedside manner and visa versa. It helps to find a doc you like...but that hasn't been easy experience for me.

For me, my lawyer was my best bet. My situation different..but when I decided I couldn't work, I was at disablily lawyer's office with in the week. He also works with the WC..I don't know...but think most do.

It was win/win as I did not have any out of pocket.. actually no expenses for lawyer's services since I rec'd disability within 6 mos. Now, over two years later, Medicare and such, so there is help for me re' medical bills now.

But fighting the illness and limitations and trying to keep working...and the medical bills piling higher and deeper...I went through almost all my money.

For me there was such aloneness in the situation.
    Being on this site with people who understand was one of the most proactive..healthiest thing I've ever done to take care of myself.

Keep in touch...vent ...whatever you need . You're not alone. Take care!

Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Thanks to all who answered my last post inlove this site it makes me feel I'm not alone and I'll be in touch
  • I too am grateful 4 this site, & it's post like yours that have me reconsidering surgery. The 1st neurologist I saw did the nerve tst & MRI, gave me a hand full of scripts & said 'see u n 3 mons'. My osteopath, who I trusted, did a drug test on me. I was shocked! I am glad I purposed 2 find alternatives to all the scripts given.I am going 2 Mayo Clinic 4 expert opinion. I just don't trust drs here. I'm retired & hav medical coverage,& docs really hav milked my plan & I still hurt. Sending thoughts of healing 2 all on this site & n pain. Yes the system is broken.
  • Why did osteopath do a drug test on you? You have to remember if your dr did all the tests on you and he did not feel surgery was the answer to your problem then thats why he would of had you try medications 1 st with pt to see if the problem will resolve itself,

They know surgery can cause many further complications so not always a bad thing that they do everything to avoid it, i been to the mayo myself so i dont blame you for going there to posibly get there opinion on the issue for they have everything right there to run every test posible,

They are well known for finding issues that dr,s dont find but from what i know spine is not on top of the list in there specialty. I think that was my reason why i decided to have surgery in my state which acrualy turned out to be a realy bad idea,

Good luck to ya
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I was a cna, and I hurt my back lifting a resident. I have always wanted to go into nursing. I do not see that in the future, but maybe something else.
    Question- You didnt report the back problem at all at work when it happened?!

I did a report about 20 minutes after I got hurt, and I am glad I did. It isn't great to live off work comp, but I would have never been able to get the help that I have gotten for my back.

I am sorry that you still arent feeling well. I am scared to death that I will not get better after this surgery, but I pray to god I will.

I hope that things get better for you, but sometimes things dont work out as we planned :( . I am sure you were a great nurse!!!! O:)